Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Is it posible to have geometry automatically baked then the geometry that was baked automatically selected and inserted as a parameter for the next definition. Im guessing the time component would help a bit.

The point is to immediately generate curves that can be manipulated in the rhino interface and having a whole lot of geometry created around those curves automaticaly by breaching the "bake gap".

Any sugestions?

Views: 5266

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, i got that message too. I'm crossing fingers but it seems to be working well. I only encountered a problem with the undo buffer.
I'm using this to test a commonly requested massing feature, were you change the shape of a mass but then scales to meet the required floor area or volume. Here's a video of what i mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ock0afn-F8c
Looks fantastic!
That's a very interesting application of this. I don't necessarily think that those issues will cause a meltdown, but the "rather safe than sorry" root is another option. Glad to see that this is finding some use.

OT: Those are some interesting related videos :)
Those are some interesting related videos :)
Heh, i thought the same thing. I was about to curse youtube and it's bad filtering but i realized most of them contain the words "fixed" and "volume" in the title.

Going back on topic, is there a reason you used doc.LookupObject()? My script only contains these two lines:

Dim objref As New MRhinoObjRef(New Guid(ID))
doc.ReplaceObject(objref, y)

Where 'ID' is the input where the guid parameter is connected and 'y' is the input where the scaled breps are connected.

There has to be a way to reference baked geometry from a script as if you referenced it through a parameter. Maybe using some obscure Grasshopper method like the ones from Giulio's scripts.
I actually didn't realize you could create an ObjRef directly from a GUID...that saves a few steps for me now.

This is the thing where I get a little "hung up" on things regarding this. You said "there has to be a way to reference baked geometry from a script as if you referenced it through a parameter" What exactly do you mean by that? The reason why I'm asking is that in order to bake the geometry to Rhino in the first place, you have to have the geometry. So if you really want to do anything with it later on down stream, why not reference it from within the definition? I guess I'm seeing this as a way to simply embed the output of a GH definition automatically rather than have to constantly worry about baking it. If the idea is to reference geometry that you're then going to change, you have to be careful about there being a circular reference, which will then get things stuck into a infinite loop. In fact, if the GUID components did expire with OnReplace object, that's exactly what would happen, and I believe that the errors that are popping up kind of say the same thing.
The only ways i know to reference rhino geometry from a scripting component is either using MRhinoGetObject() or the GUID of the object. In either case the definition won't update when this geometry is modified.
If you want the definition to update when the baked geometry changes, you need to manually reference the baked geometry.

For example: I was doing an urban planning definition that automatically layed lots in a specific pattern, then there was a "manual override" toggle that is supposed to bake the outline of the lots and reference them again so that they could adjust the pattern manually but all the data was still calculated (square meters, number of lots, etc.). It doesen't look very good that the user has to click the "manual override" toggle, and the have to manually reference all the baked curves. It would be much better if the definition automatically did this.
Also, the baked plot outlines had attribute data attached to them, it would be nice that when this data was changed in rhino, definition updated too.
nice!

this perhaps a good example why auto-bake+replace could be seen as a serious substitute to non-interactive previewing.
That vid is sweet! Nice work!

i would like to achieve something similar to this. (be able to bake, store all the GUIDs and replace them with the next bake).

unfortunately i cant reproduce the solution, also some calls seem not to be not valid anymore (rhino5?)

would be nice if someone more scripting experienced could help me with this!

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service