Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

GH 0.7.0030 (June 18th build) is available for download.

You need at least Rhino4 SR8 to run this build.

This build fixes numerous serious bugs in the previous 0.7 release so it is highly recommended for those of you who have already had the nerve to depart from 0.6.X.

One of the fixes affects Cross Reference Data Matching and although it is only supposed to be a fix, please be on the lookout for any unwanted changes.

A new feature available in this build are User Objects. Basically you can store any individual existing object on the canvas (including all settings) as a new Component. This allows you to create parameters with preset data, or Components with preset inputs, or Sliders with Integer accuracy as default, or ready made Script components.

User Objects can be created from the Grasshopper File menu. They can be deleted from the toolbars (each component on the toolbar now has a rudimentary menu), or they can be managed manually. There is a single User Object folder (accessible via the File menu again), so anything placed in here will be loaded.

This is still a very early attempt at making a customizable toolset. The interface and responsiveness of User Objects will improve.

--
David Rutten
david@mcneel.com
Poprad, Slovakia

Views: 5195

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, even a complete crash... severe.

Ok, I'll try and find the problem, thanks for posting these.

--
David Rutten
david@mcneel.com
Poprad, Slovakia
thanks david for all the goodies
c# component still do not support data tree input... hope you can fix it for the next release?

-to]
Damn, I thought I fixed that. Sorry.

--
David Rutten
david@mcneel.com
Poprad, Slovakia
I attached a new Script GHA that should have C# support for trees.
Rename the current Script.gha into Script.gha_old or something and put this one in the same folder.

--
David Rutten
david@mcneel.com
Poprad, Slovakia
Attachments:
thanks a lot david (thumbs up!!!)
Hi David,

Object referencing + User Objects/Clusters: Can they be linked, on an object-by-object basis?

This may a way of dealing with working efficiently with a small part of a larger associative-parametric construct?

Say, I have a whole bunch of 'walls' that are are generated by GH, but I only want to modify one. Currently, the script has to run before all the walls are editable, and the file baked afterward the modification.

It would be good, if GH would be able to see the baked file as a collection of object references, and replace the one wall that I want to modify with the 'live' GH version, when it is being edited. After the monkey business is done, only the modified bit is baked back into the file.

Saving pre-set attributes also reminds me of the large amounts of data that needs to be tacked onto elements these days, like material properties, function, configuration info etc. I guess, the baked reference object could now carry the link to an external database, especially if doesn't have to be regenerated every time.

This kind of has the effect of segmenting the 'script' into smaller persistent containers? The object referencing 'step' could also be seen a 'port' or data flow control point. Objects could be swapped about depending on context or need. Level of Detail control for example.

I think you mentioned before that you were thinking of a kind of component that carried their scripts around. Maybe, this is one way to do that?

Regards

Dominic
Dominic,

I'm going to have to digest this for a bit. I'll be travelling over the weekend so plenty of time to sit down and think.

--
David Rutten
david@mcneel.com
Poprad, Slovakia
Hi David, thanks for the latest release! A couple of questions:
1. When I enable "Draw Icons" from the View menu, the custom bitmaps for User Object don't show up. Shouldn't they?
2. Could the "Markov" be dockable to the toolbar (Next to the fried egg)? I'm used to moving the mouse "up" in GH to get components...
Hi Mårten,

The User Objects do not really override the icon of the actual objects. I know this is somewhat confusing, but it would involve quite substantial changes in the core to be able to add icons to the ghx files. Also, once User Objects supports multiple objects, it is no longer obvious which icon(s) should be changed...

I agree about the Markov Widget. Ideally all widgets should be drag+dockable, just like the compass.

--
David Rutten
david@mcneel.com
Turku, Poprad
Damn, I thought I could make my own little VB script with a custom icon and a cool animal name... I guess it wasn't that easy... :)
It would be nice for VB and C# components wouldn't it?

I'll see what I can do.

--
David Rutten
david@mcneel.com
Turku, Poprad
Occasionally I step back for a moment to take in a bigger picture view of what GH is all about....

After following the GH discussion for about 7 months now, I am once again, blown away after reading this thread. This thread is not unique, in fact it is representative of the normal everyday culture of this thing called grasshopper. Seeing all the generous, volunteer, collaborative energy of so many to create a tremendous piece of software. This global creative process is the best example of the power of the internet. The potential of this process far exceeds even the brightest corporate vision.

Thank you to David, the whole McNeel Team, and all the third party developers for the generous role you play in all of this and for keeping the response times down to the speed of light. Thank you to everyone else for all the constructive input, feedback, suggestions, and tireless hours of testing. We all benefit from the amazing efforts of a community of great minds; all pulling in the same direction.

Keep pulling...this way,

Stan

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service