Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

graphic thinking > using grasshopper as a simultaneous diagram

a colleague told me about that book, graphic thinking from paul laseau, which explains the simultaneous function of diagrams (such as a GH definition), in opposite with something linear like language, history, etc. i think it can improve the usability of grasshopper, still, it is a very visual program and (my) definitions are getting confusing sometimes...

so here an idea I had for new groups in grasshopper: it would be nice if you just had to draw a rectangle (or circle) and everything you move inside, is automaticly in the group, if i move the item outside the rectangle, it´s not. while moving the group,  you must close it, so objects don´t stick to it.

if you want the whole book, write me.

Views: 1256

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

(my) definitions are getting confusing sometimes...

Have a read of this paper about using Modular programming in Grasshopper Definitions:

http://www.nzarchitecture.com/image/caadfutures2011.pdf

yeah, that´s exactly what i mean, but i kind of passed that level. i like the input/output idea. but changing something inside the groups/modules, means you have to delete the group an make a new one, including the new nodes. am i wrong?
well, trying to take it a little bit further, definitions are getting bigger and more complex, while creating a need to structure them so that other colleagues can understand them. if i have a group in a group in a group and i add something to it, its getting a lot of work to redo my existing structure. therefore the idea of the new groups. 

but changing something inside the groups/modules, means you have to delete the group an make a new one, including the new nodes. am i wrong?

Select a component > right click in the group area > add to group

add to goup = awesome

thats how it looks like rights now:

ctrl+g can group components as you speak already. clicking the group changes its style from rectangle, to metaballish type things, to filleted rectangles, ect. You can also drag groups as a whole.

also, my definitions where really confusing until I became aware of ctrl+g as well as developing my own organization of "steps". 

I´ve developed a habit of defining my inputs and outputs by adding redundant parameter containers and wiring everything through them. That enables me to tinker with the module without disturbing the connections. Naming those properly gives you the chance of calling them as functions by copypaste (for this purpose I have yet another redundant output container with the wifi connection toggled loitering in the end of every module). 

A great feature for this way of working (I really hope you are tuning in on this discussion, mr Rutten) would be to have a list of all the named parameter containers of the same kind available for connection within the component. This would really reduce the amount of zooming around, finding components.

so first, we have the modules, which could work like a group, joining the module by moving the components inside. the modules could have different shapes and colors.
each module has an input and output-link, where you can connect and name several parameters from the outside. you could connect these parameters to the components inside the module by using a drag-down list at the parameter, so you don´t have to zoom around.

frans, where can i find these parameter containers?

second, there is the overall structure. the whole definition should be a legible diagram, maybe with a control panel for an easy use, and clearly defined sectors for each category. i´m missing some basic grafic tools like a line. here an abstract idea what it could look like:

Well, I use the standard parameter containers from the params tab at the moment.

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service