Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

I was doing the CULL PATTERN AND CURVE ON SURFACE by digitaltoolbox.info. Everything was fine until I used the SURFACE DIVIDE component. It gives me 2 points instead of four. here is the print screen:

and here is the definition with the rhino file.

Views: 2652

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

You can try to use [BRep Components ] instead of [Divide Surface] .

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/7559/57738412.png
Thank you. It did work but I still need the other output ends of the Divide Surface component . The tutorial will ask you to use the UV end of the divide surface:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP5PxBn_5rc

Thanks anyway. the BRep components will help me in other matters.
If someone can explain the difference between the old Divide Surface Component and the new version?
Here is an image that explains how I'm getting different results from the same command!

Attachments:
The Obsolete version returns all the points in the division as a single list, whereas the new Component returns columns of division points. Especially if the surface is trimmed the output of the obsolete component is pretty worthless.

You shouldn't be able to create Obsolete components anymore, but old files might still contain them.

The fact that they have a different output is the whole point of the new component.

--
David Rutten
david@mcneel.com
Seattle, WA
Thank you for the explanation David. Is it possible that this will make some of the old tutorials (tutorials based on the older versions) to have different outcomes! I need to find a way to work this out!
Divide Surface returns lists of point columns in the division grid. So if you divide an untrimmed surface, you'll get X columns of Y points each:

If you want to access the highlighted point (i.e., third column, fourth point) you can use the data path + index combo of {0;2}(3).

If the surface is trimmed, it could be that some of the division points are no longer on the surface interior. In this case the output is much the same, except the points not on the interior are represented by null values in the grid (instead of valid points):

This means you can access the highlighted point in the exact same way as before, whether it is actually defined or not.

If you do not want to have those 'gaps' in the grid, you should Untrim your surface prior to dividing it.

--
David Rutten
david@mcneel.com
Seattle, WA
Thank you, this is what I needed.

Hi, Im stuck in the same point with the same tutorial. I need the UV definition of the points to create a surface curve using thepoints, and instead of sorting them out in groups of 4, there are only two, which in turn, when i try to derive lines from the different set of point i end up missing the diagonal ones.

thanks

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service