Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hey all,

This is my first post here and I've been familiarizing myself with Grasshopper for about a week now. I've learnt a lot thanks to the excellent tutorials and trial and error but am at a loss at the moment so any help is greatly appreciated.

Ok so I want to make a chain mail sort of mesh based on 2 brep components.

I followed the parametric chain tutorial on rhino3d.tv .

However I keep running into a problem when applying the same principle to my definition.

The chain definition

The components do not line up with the curve correctly.

I've done a lot of double checking and it seems all my points and vectors are correct.

It seems as if the reference points of the components do not get translated correctly along the curve for some reason.

Does anyone have a clue on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Views: 3628

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

You could also take a look at Giulio's tutorial for knit patterns.

http://www.giuliopiacentino.com/knitting-pattern/#more-938

Wow thanks a lot for the link. Making the knitting pattern would've been my next challenge :P.

Perhaps I am wrong, but the Orient component looks bugged.

I added some components to your chain.ghx code, they just get the transformation data from this orient component, and apply these transformations in the right order.

I would think that the Orient component applies rotates, scales and moves in the wrong order.

Or perhaps I dont understand how this component works.

Attachments:

This does help quite a bit. The only problem I know have is that I want to create a chainmail of sorts by contouring a surface. 

As far as I can tell the workaround fetches the relevant transformation data from the data tree. How what parameters do I need for extraction so that it fetches the transformation values for multiple curves?

BTW, thanks a lot for your time and attention :P.

This should work. Or perhaps better use the other Orient component.
Attachments:

RSS

About

Translate

Search

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service