Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

How to "put" any pattern on the waved surface

Guys!

Is there any universal way to put flat patterns  (hexagonal, heptagonal and others ) to put them on the waved, irregular - non flat surface? 

For example: 

http://www.google.pl/imgres?q=heptagonal+pattern&um=1&hl=pl...

http://www.google.pl/imgres?q=heptagonal+pattern&start=232&...

Views: 49977

Replies to This Discussion

"3) Turn on Obscure Components"

Awesome tips, Danny - I'm definitely going to share your post with my students who are interested in pushing themselves further with Grasshopper.

Same here, lot of tips there that I usually say in my GH workshops. Two monitor advice is essential :) The problems comes when you teach from a laptop/computer with 2 monitor output only :P But to work at home is the only way to work comfortable (the same when coding in VS).

Agree, I also used to hate icons, then i switched over and really you begin to pick things up easier as you start to associate pictures with pictures, especially in long definitions where at a glance all text looks similar and you have to read every icon to find the one you need where as you can easily identify an Icon apart from others and zoom to it. At this point though I don't even pay attention I say 95 percent of the time I already know the component I need and just type it in almost naturally.

I have to say that I don't hate icons myself but that isn't the issue. When I'm trying to solve a problem I want the description of what a component does not its subjective iconic representation.  Personally I remember the abbreviations better than I do the icons that relate to them.  When I look at a tab of functions I scan for the component name not the icon.  My memory is not primarily eidetic but rather lexical stemming from the days when I used to write a lot of code.

Grasshopper is a great tool and I use it often in what I do but not exclusively.  Therefore I find that I forget the icons but remember the functionality.  Still, the icon is sometimes a clue to which function I'm trying to find but only when I see it in context with it's description.  By itself, without foreknowledge of its function, the icon is as cryptic as a group of random symbols.

No offense meant Danny.

Preach on, brother Danny!

Hi, My name is Brian, and I'm a Text-Mac-Smooth-Coke-Bike

Brian,

Thank you.

signed.

Rob-Text-PC-Chunky-Pepsi-Bike

:)

Danny,

I think the word you're grasping for is "exploration" which describes creative wandering, not "discoverability", which describes a degree of obscuration. Theres nothing wrong with exploration in the right context, but in this context, a user has asked for specific help, so why not give them direct directions to the solution you're offerring...if not, why answer at all? to force exploration when all thats been requested is a solution?

because a teacher should never just give answers, no one learns that way, they should challenge you. For example I almost never will post my definitions for help, only screenshots. The amount you learn from recreating a definition yourself is invaluable. Furthermore in other software even rhino itself, you must explore tools and options as well, I have been using rhino for about6 years and still am discovering new command. also the OP never asked for a specific format of screenshot so as far as I'm concerned and icon screenshot was as direct as a text one, and when a text one was asked for, it was also given.

I'm not saying don't ask for the help, because you will get it, that's the beauty about this forum. The main purpose of my post was to say that there are ways we can help ourselves which I highlighted in the link. I never once thought that someone wasn't going to oblige but we don't always have access to the internet. Believe me I was trying to be helpful. 

And yes I fully intended the would to be related to obscurity, which is why they are called obscure components and when not enabled are relegated to the Drop Down Menus.

I would never have started my Icon Finder widget if I didn't think there was a need for it.

(No offense taken Al)

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service