Grasshopper contains a VB.net and C# component. These components
allow you to run your own custom code within Grasshopper.
Understanding how to make even simple code components can be very
useful in Grasshopper definitions.
The VB.NET and C#.NET components in Grasshopper access the Rhino
.NET SDK (Software Developers Kit) and OpenNURBS (Geometry format)
within Rhino. As you learn about the Code components, knowing a bit
about the SDK and OpenNurbs will be useful.
Note to RhinoScript users:
There has been many requests to
support RhinoScript in Grasshopper. This is not technically
possible. We are working on making VB.net more accessible to
Rhinoscript coders. The following tutorials are created to help
RhinoScripters to make the transition to VB.net within Grasshopper.
In the future we are looking to add many of the RhinoScript style
functins into VB.net.
The last chapters in the
are a great introduction to the VB.net
component within Grasshopper. Topics range from:
- An Introduction to Scripting
- Script components Basics
- Debuging Information
- Introduction to Visual Basic DotNET
- VB Variables, Arrays and Lists
- VB Conditional Statements, Loops
- Lists and Trees Grasshopper
- File I/O
- Rhino .NET SDK Overview
- Understanding NURBS
- OpenNURBS Objects Hierarchy
- Class Structures OpenNURBS
- Geometry Transformation in the SDK
- Global Utility Functions
Click here to download the
Further specific sample definitions and code examples can be
- General information on the SDK and VB.NET is also