Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

I am trying to recreate the Enneper surface seen in the image below...

I admit right off the bat that I have no clue how to achieve this. I was playing with the lunchbox plugin and researched algorithms from http://mathworld.wolfram.com, but did not get anywhere. Does anybody know how I can deform the typical enneper wing to something more pointed as seen below. 

Views: 3133

Replies to This Discussion

A fairly quick approach might be to bake an enneper surface into rhino, and then in Rhino, use cageedit to push some control points around and see how the shape responds to being modified.  From there, you could figure out which approach you might take to modifying the shape.

There are a few posts the speak about various mathematical surface creation techniques.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. This sure is a solution that works, but I was hoping for an all grasshopper way. 

Oliver

there is a GH way!, please do some searching at this forum

Attachments:

This what I was looking for! Greatly Appreciated!!! 

I like the paths proposed by Chris and Kim.
They are very appropriate.

thanks Juan, for showing us how to manipulate the container of the Enneper, could you please post the revised script. I would find it useful to add this feature, when playing with other parametric surface formulas.

Awesome!!!

A search of this forum for "mathematical surfaces" will most likely turn up a few various examples and approaches.  There is a free tool called k3dsurf(?), (I think...), that has a bunch of parametric surfaces and their corresponding equations.  It's a good exercise, (if the goal is to learn how to translate the equations into gh), to find one and try to translate it into GH using an example file like the one posted above.

That's what I struggled with... The translation of an equation found on any of the online resources into a GH readable format. Thanx Chris

There are much more elegant ways to accomplish this now, but here is a file I used when I was experimenting with translating the forms from K3DFSurf into GH.  It should be considered a starting point, certainly not the ultimate resource.  

Attachments:

thanks Chris for your example. The GH script, I posted, involved nothing less than a simple cut and paste of the same K3DSurf equation code for x,y, & z  :)

Very good your file Chris.

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service