Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi all!

I hope I have the right term here, but I am having some issues with "blotching", i.e. circular patches in the rendered images (see below).

I am wondering if someone here knows how to set the radiance parameters to get rid of blotching. To add another level of complexity to my problem, I am running simulations with a translucent material with the following properties:

void trans testTrans

7 0.478 0.478 0.478 0.000 0.010 0.178 0.635

I have had no issues with the renderings when I use clear glazing, as seen on this image:
However the blotching-issue becomes very noticeable when I introduce translucent glazing into the scene:
For the two above cases I used the following parameters:
_av_ is set to 0
xScale is set to 2
_ab_ is set to 6
_dc_ is set to 0.5
_aa_ is set to 0.2
_ad_ is set to 2048
_st_ is set to 0.5
yScale is set to 2
_ps_ is set to 4
_ar_ is set to 64
_as_ is set to 2048
_ds_ is set to 0.25
_pt_ is set to 0.1
_dr_ is set to 1
_pj_ is set to 0.9
_dp_ is set to 256
_dt_ is set to 0.25
_lr_ is set to 6
_dj_ is set to 0.5
_lw_ is set to 0.01
I ran another test with increased Radiance parameters and got the following output:
with the following parameters:
_av_ is set to 0
xScale is set to 6
_ab_ is set to 6
_dc_ is set to 0.75
_aa_ is set to 0.1
_ad_ is set to 4096
_st_ is set to 0.15
yScale is set to 6
_ps_ is set to 2
_ar_ is set to 128
_as_ is set to 4096
_ds_ is set to 0.05
_pt_ is set to 0.05
_dr_ is set to 3
_pj_ is set to 0.9
_dp_ is set to 512
_dt_ is set to 0.15
_lr_ is set to 8
_dj_ is set to 0.7
_lw_ is set to 0.005
Although the second blotching case is much better than the first, it is still very bad for hours when the sun is lower in the sky. The above images are rendered for a clear sky at 18:00 in Germany in a West-facing room.

Sorry for the long post! Can someone help?

Kind regards,
Örn

Views: 624

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Örn,

This is a great question for Radiance's email list. If they can't help you there, which I'm pretty sure they will, I will be happy to take on this one.

It can be both because of the material definition or radiance parameters. I assume you have already checked this document (http://radiance-online.org/community/workshops/2010-freiburg/PDF/Da...). If you haven't then you should.

Thanks Mostapha, I'm familiar with the document. I also posted my question on the Radiance email list and received answers yesterday. I will try their suggestions and report back.

Hi Mostapha, would it be possible to add an optional input to the RadianceParameter component that would allow you to manually change the parameters which are currently automatically assigned by the component? For example:

I would like to try to edit some of these parameters to fix my blotching issue :)

Yes! It is definitely possible and looks like a great idea. What do you think about accepting a string instead of another component. I just assume if you are an advance user you should be comfortable with typing something like: -av 0 -dc 0.75 -st 0.15 -ps 2

Then the component can parse in the values and we avoid a pretty huge component. Let me know your thoughts on this.

I think that is an excellent idea Mostapha. It serves the same purpose while avoiding unnecessary confusion for those that have less understanding.

Here you go! I just committed the new version to github. Let me know if you find any bugs.

Thanks Mostapha!

It works like a charm :)

It took me a couple of minutes to understand, so in case anyone else needs help understanding how the A-parameters are calculated in the transMaterial component, see the following image:

+1 That's exactly what's happening inside the component.

RSS

About

Translate

Search

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service