Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

OK. Good Evening Peeps.

We are attempting to rotate curved hexagonal cells across a curved plane (curve is identical on both the referenced plane and the corresponding hex cells), however the problem is that the cells themselves are rotating in every way BUT the way we need them to. We can rotate each cell about its individual centroid, or about its U or V axes, or the entire grid of cells about the globally prevalent X or Y axes....all of that is not an issue other than the fact that these motions are not desired at this time.

So what we are wanting is to rotate the entirety of the cell grid by 30 degrees (thus changing the orientation of the hex pattern from "pointing up or down" to one which has a side of the hexagons parallel to the length of the vault itself - this being perpendicular to the span of the vault) See the attached image for what we currently have going on - as you can see the hexagons are pointing up and down the curved vault.

The rotated grid MUST conform to the vault curve and the hexagons themselves not be adulterated in the process. We thank anyone for their help in this matter and are extremely appreciative of your time! Much love to our Grasshopper Peeps.

20151002_215822-1.jpg

Views: 2584

Replies to This Discussion

Hmm ... is this via Lunchbox, yes?

Lunchbox does business by connecting "ortho" grid pts derived from a given surface division. If you draw a grid in a piece of paper and then connect them appropriately you can understand the logic used.

In order to do what you want: either you should map hexagons yielded from a user controllable grid into the surface (and deal with the remaining "segments") or use L in another surface and then "cull" hexagons with respect the boundary of this surface (and also deal with the remaining "segments").  

Yes, I was using lunchbox and it has been causing problems. Thank you for the suggestions.

I don't know why the mapped hexagons are distorted...?  Mixed up u/v?

This is straight GH, no Lunchbox:

P.S.  If you adjust the 'Length' slider (which affects the length of the arched surface), there is a point (42.9) where they are no longer distorted...  No idea yet why.  At that point, though, the surface is square, which is a pretty good clue?

Attachments:

I found a 'Swap UV' component by Danny Boyes here:

http://www.grasshopper3d.com/forum/topics/how-to-flip-uv?commentId=...

It fixed the problem!  And had the side effect of removing the need to rotate the hexagrid:

Hmm... the hex lines are straight, not curved. :(

Attachments:

Thank you for the help. I will look into this some more, but this has been very helpful so far.

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service