Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hello,

Say I have a rectangular grid or perhaps voronoi pattern, how do I create a connection like attached picture with 'filleted fingers and slots' at every intersection points? It would be great if the definition can allow control of notch size as well.. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!

Views: 4274

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

looks like a diagrid pattern + attractors
any thoughts on how to create that type of connection?

I've made an attempt but doesn't work quite well.. Any thoughts? I'm trying to achieve something like this:

Attachments:

Here's something that might work for you, but it's a bit temperamental on the boolean intersections. You might need to tweak your Rhino Tolerances.

Methodology:

1) Create Junction Points on a Wire Frame

2) Find All Spars relating to Junction.

3) Create a Hub around Junction (Intersection Points along curve)

4) Create Solid Pipes within Hub

5) Boolean Hub

6) Create Notches as Solid Pipes

7) Boolean Difference Hub with Notches

8) Intersect Solid Hub with XY Plane

9) Fillet Corners of Hub Outline

Attachments:
Thank you so much! I have a question, does this only work with lines drawn in Rhino? Because when I tried to input exploded grids to the curve (drawn from grasshopper), an error prompt up at the path mapper. I'm not too sure why though..

It will work with GH generated Objects but you will have to flatten them before putting them into the Curve Param at the start of the definition. Otherwise the Data structure will be different and you will have to manually configure the Path Mapper to behave. If you are unsure of the Path Mapper, when you get a chance, have a look at the Path Mapper Help discussion [here] to get a better understanding of the inner workings of what it does.

Also the Output from the Grid component is a Cell ie a closed polyline representing the Square/Rectangle. It would be better for you to generate the lines based on the corner Points.

Attachments:
How do I remove the grid lines inside the fingers? I tried using Trim with Regions but it only works on the x-axis fingers

You could use Evaluate Length to get the points on the grid lines at a specific distance from start and end. Just be sure to switch the N input to false as you are measuring actual lengths and not normalized distances.

I'll make sure the Extend Curve component accepts negative values as well so it will be easier to shorten curves this way.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

Very interesting solution. Since there was a fillet bug in this file, I started playing with it as well and I took a different approach. I spend a lot of effort making a single flange element, then quickly orient them into place and region union them. The benefit is that you don't need to resort to Brep Booleans and Intersections, which are costly.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

Attachments:
Much quicker!

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos