Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hello.

First of all i must say im a quite newbie user of Grasshopper, Rabbit and Galapagos; so maybe i tried things in my files that could have been made easier or smarter. Sorry for that. Maybe what im trying is not possible. I cant found the way to do it. But you clearly know much more than me so i should give it a try :D

Secondly, Im not english speaker so maybe I do a lot of mistakes, sorry in advance, i will clarify in comments whatever i cant explain good enough.

Im doing urban design, i want to distribute random functions over my designed sprawl. But i dont want to do it randomly. I first tried to do it with percentages, but that was not as accurate as i wanted. I designed some parameters which i want to have in mind while doing it. Because it is a big file and have a lot of parameters i have simplified it to a house, in a file which i attach. 

In this "house" i want to distribute the rooms in some given boxes, but having in mind the "optimal relation" between rooms, in height and with the main road.

In the diagram i have write the relations between rooms, in this way, is better to have kitchen and livingroom together and is worst to have sleeping room and kitchend together. In the same way is better if rooms are on a higher floor and far from the road.

I set some gradients for these parameters -not between different uses, i dont know how- but now i wanted to find the better way to fit these "rules".

I think that Galapagos would help me do it, but i dont know how to use it in this way either.

i hope you could help me. And i wish i explained well myself.

Thank you so much for reading and for helping.

Views: 1228

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Anyone could help me?

I found this research - https://perkinswill.com/sites/default/files/ID%203_PWRJ_Vol0702_02_... -  in which they found some way to do something quite similar to my needs. The main difference is

- They begin with some points, center of spheres, attached to each function, that they could move - so this way they can use easily galapagos (that´s what i think) -  and i want to fit some functions in some given boxes. Maybe by tagging them or separating each one of the boxes in different lists so i can "colour" each list separately.

Im still working on it... no way to find how yet xD

Thanks for reading anyway

Well ... first things first:

Read what the Patriarch has to say:

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674627512

After ... see what the HARNESS initiative was about (long long time ago):

http://www.icevirtuallibrary.com/doi/abs/10.1680/iicep.1976.3391

After ... a rather long Skype session is (maybe) required.

Thanks Peter, i will do that.

Warning: this is NOT a make-me-a-Voronoi-blob-and-then-paint-it-pink case.

Assisting the design process with some CADD (D: Design) software (where CAD is bought and D is written [solely via code]) takes years of effort AND experience, teamwork and full knowledge of the broad AEC spectrum (from CSI classifications to Building codes and from BIM to cats and dogs).

The fact that designers are born and not made makes things more "discouraging", he he.

That said any ignorant believes that this is a red-button thingy (or some freaky hallucination): just press it and the computer delivers the goods (and pigs do fly) - therefore he could argue that a computer would never be able to do it ... because the whole design process is fuzzy the constrains are 1+Z  and the rules are ...er... invented "on-the-fly"  not to mention that Architecture is not exactly the art of rational

Well ... little they know.

A live demo after Patriarch's notes  (and the other thing) could convince you.

I know is a difficult path, and i "kind of" knew it could not be possible to do in a simply (lets call it easy) way. -> I even say that in my post : "Maybe what im trying is not possible. I cant found the way to do it. But you clearly know much more than me so i should give it a try :D"

I just wanted to know some external opinions just to evaluate if i could use it or i should find an easy way to cover my needs now, and do some research and learn script and c# over the next years. Maybe some day ill be able to get this monkey off my back! :P

I´ve achieve lots of things with GH, not all that i want of course. My first intention was to do some "MVRDV Function Mixer" simplier-and-dumber-thing. But i´m beggining to think thats not possible xD

BTW: In order to avoid any misunderstanding: by "ignorant" I'm NOT talking about you (you are a believer after all, he he). I'm talking having reactions in mind related with something without knowing anything about that something. 

BTW: keep always in mind: computers are like Vodka: small doses may be fun, overdose may yield hospital (or mortuary).

BTW: this kind of "rational" Architecture is an anathema these days where form beats function hands down and the blob is King.

Contemporary Architecture should be like this:

But is rather like this:

I completely agree with that!

Thanks for your time and all the helping, Peter. If im ever able to do it, i will report... and let you know. :P

See you on the dark side!

BTW: You may find this interesting (up to a point)

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.grasshopper3d.com/forum/top...

BTW: HARNESS

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&sou...

BTW: You can find the math analysis/background in the Notes of Synthesis of Form (no pseudo code mind, written long long time ago). Several pages of that kind:

Reading that post is the way i first talked to you :P

Thanks again mate.

That said Tiara abandoned ship (some Skype sessions "helped", he he).

But if you trust me: all that (highly politically incorrect, mind) stuff are one way ticket to hell.

Additionally if you take into account the simple fact that a real man only needs 3 things (a proper Panigale S, a proper Ariel Atom and a - slightly-  used Cigarette Top Gun 38) .. well ... what about Plan B ? (Oblivion, that is).

best, Lord of SardineLand

Actually I'm inclined towards this.

RSS

About

Translate

Search

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service