Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

IntraLattice is an important plug-in since it affords arbitrary 3D lattices of lines or even curves to be thickened into strut/hub systems very quickly compared to marching cubes methods. It does so by turning lines into stacks of anti-prisms and then calculating a triangulated convex hull around each hub that uses the vertices of the ends of such struts. The low poly result can be subdivided (Weaverbird Loop) to smooth it.

It comes with several preset unit cell types for filling arbitrary bodies with a lattice, and also has a custom unit cell component. But it's broken.

IntraLattice has a tolerance bug that is easy to fix by just scaling your model up 10X when you notice bad mesh results. This is a separate issue.

It's as if it doesn't like lines to end on edges of the unit cell, only faces and corners. A diagonal line from edge-to-edge (and then all lines split with each other) goes missing, half missing, or oddly enough becomes zig-zag in the array when it should be straight.

I also don't like that the developer added a limitation error warning that all faces must have a line on them. This means I can't fill space with layered spaces in between trusswork, for instance.

The custom unit cell code also sadly rejects curves, yet IntraLattice itself can handle curves just fine.

I also note that that clean-up component only removes duplicate lines, fine, but it doesn't join pairs of co-linear lines, something that occurs often when playing around with unit cells. This seems to cause bad meshes since it tries to put a hub where the line segments need merely be joined or treated as one line.

There's also a bug in the nice custom mesh preview component that sometimes has the preview stuck on even if you delete the component from the Grasshopper canvas since disabling it or shutting off preview of it fails.

It's been two years since an update to this open source plug-in, so I've contacted the developers on Github since the contact form is Server Error 500: http://intralattice.com/contact/

On Github, he promises a new version in 2017 as a stand-alone application, so I hope this extends to Grasshopper in some way, if not directly, then as some way to hook into it.

Views: 614

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice! ZBrush is also my go to when Booling meshes. It just always works :D

RSS

Translate

Search Grasshopper

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2017   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service