Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi guys,

I m doing  a wall with the same type of brick but i´d like to rotate them randomly by 90 deg.

I am thinking rotation with a type of  π constrain .

I would be rotation limited to -90 ° 90° 180° 270°

Any idea in order to start, please.

Anjy

Views: 5313

Replies to This Discussion

Why do you even bother Mat !

I suggest a minimum GRE® test scores to enter the forum.

What about it?

Or is it a forum for devlopper of grasshopper only?

come on... The answer is really simple once you have basic knowldege about the basic GH components.

Inspecting the Random Component shows that there is an option that says "Limit to Integers only". So where's the big leap from your (reformulated) question "How do I randomly rotate bricks with integer multiples of 90° from the range of -1 to 3"?

So please everyone read some tuts first. Then use the help option of the components, thast seem most suited for the task at hand... normally there are multiple ways to think it through. Expertiment!

Hi Hannes,

As you have been very helpful to lots of people recently I'm surprised by this. I don't want you to feel I'm being callous, but emphasising "basic" at Andre-Jacques is not beneficial to anyone.

The gh forum is still the place to ask any question, by anyone without fear of ridicule. What makes us (the grasshopper3d community) stand apart from the other forums available to McNeel software (or any other software)?

It is commonly accepted that the Primer is very out of date and that there are lots of tutorials available, including those on this site, that do not reflect the current state of play.

Even the help file that accompanies each component is by no means extensive and cannot shed any light on what is required in some circumstances.

People will appreciate help, small or great, whenever it is given openly and courteously. If you find a discussion that you don't wish to participate in remember you are under no obligation to give it your voice. Someone who is wishing to give back to the community, in way of thanks for help that they have received, might spot this very question and jump at the opportunity to answer it because they have just found the answer themselves.

I openly admit that there are days that I get tired of posting a link to answer in a discussion that is only below the new question on the front page. Or telling someone to update there MS runtimes for the hundredth time, but I have to remind myself that its not the hundredth time for them.

Written with only the highest regards,

Danny

Hey Danny,

I'm deeply sorry for the tone of my post. I can see you understand where I was coming from, I just let slip my control.

I'm always glad to help but helping doesn't mean to do all the work for others. Sometimes people, including myself, get stuck at silly corners. But I just can't imagine how you get stuck at this point, once you know how to rotate geometry and how to create random numbers. The Anjy verpally flipped the bird at Mat...

Still, I apologize for my tone and hope the content of my post helped to get unstuck.

Best, Hannes

Sorry for some kind of "intellectual violence" ;) I just hate people who enters this forum for the first time and asks about e.g. attractors with words like "I have to do a Zaha-like masterplan, so I need a def, give me"

@ Hannes Löschke: this is wrong as the list would result in the following values {-1, 0, 1, 2, 3}. That's 5 integers, not four so there would be a null result, or redundancy. This is basic knowledge surely; an inevitable symptom of developing a piece of software on what Generative Components was doing almost 10 years ago, and creating a generation of users who have the power but not the insight in to how to use these tools properly. Ever seeing, never perceiving.

@ André-Jacques BODIN: as answers so far seem to be coming via links, try this: http://www.bentley.com/en-US/Products/GenerativeComponents/

you can download the latest version for free and it is infinitely more superior to GH. The learning curve is steeper but worth it. Out of experience I can tell you that the problem you have would be solved via your own skill and intelligence in a matter of seconds, rather then clumsily relying on somebody else to write some code 'packaged' as a component, and ultimately restricting your capacity to explore novel design solutions in an intelligent way.

If you are going to work in practice then unfortunately GH becomes utterly useless as it can only really be used in the initial stages of design. Its merely a toy for students and hobbyists. If you are just starting out, invest your time more wisely and learn something which can be used over the entire life cycle of project. It's so versatile that you essentially have unlimited potential and all operations remain fully in your control, or put in another way; you're not restricted by the idiosyncrasies of another programmer who's 'components' might be totally unsuitable for a novel idea you may want to explore therefore killling it.

you can download the latest version for free

Would you not need Bently Microstation to use it?

Its now a fully fledged program in its own right, microstation is not needed for installation. Pre-requisites (set of source install files) are also bundled for free. Link to download:

http://www.bentley.com/en-US/Promo/Generative+Components/Special+Of...

I recommend this for any one working in architectural practice today that wants a useful and incomparably powerful algorithmic and parametric design tool that trumps GH in every regard. GH does have its uses, but it simply can not deliver on the demands of a modern architectural project, plus its too prescribed for anyone to genuinely say that their idea is unique.

True originality comes from the freedom of expression; GC allows this, where as preconfigured 'components' in GH have an intrinsic limitation. To illustrate this, you only have to look at the image uploads to understand my point; twisting organic forms, Delaunay triangulation in 3 dimensions, random bird meshing, reactor points......

Its just another iteration of exactly the same thing. Boring. Uninspired.

The new 'paradigm' has already become nothing other than the cheap mans party trick.

André-Jacques,

Please see below to do what you want, hope this helps:

ayg011,

You just registered on a very democratic and friendly forum to say bad things on an extremely popular tool (almost 15,000 members so far). Why so much hate? The tool's success speaks for itself. We use GH in Architectural practices (please check the featured images), we can code very freely using the C#, VB.net or Python Components and people don't get judged if they want to do a voronoi-based geometry as this might be a first step for them...

I have used Generative Components for my diploma project back in 2007, it was very useful but its interface was not user friendly at all: it took me a lot of effort to make components which was not a straightforward operation (GC might have changed but in GH you can generate your building components in the same canvas as your surfaces). I am not sure how GC has evolved, as I can now do most of what I want using GH, but your judgemental posts do not inspire me to check it either.

The developers in this community give a lot of their time to offer amazing tools for free so no one would dare talking about "idiosyncrasies" like you (instead you could offer some new components yourself using this wizzard, also check Food4Rhino.com and the impressive amount of new "animals" available).

The effort placed on making the interface as friendly as possible (including the design of icons), the speed at which developpers adapt to the community's wishes as well as the quality of the help you get in this forum is quite unique for a software hence the success that GC has not reached.

Thank you  Arthur,

In your definition the rotation is range between -90 to 90 and the result is an infinite possibility between these numbers.

What I try to achieve is a random rotation of only 4 specific possibility . I can t figure out how to pick up randomly a number out of a list.

Attachments:

You're welcome, does the last answer help more?

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service