Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

This script is aim to take in a BRep polysurface solid for generating a laser cutting file.
It can handle hollow forms, cantilevering masses and can generally take more complex geometry then the usual section plane-section curve algorithm. This is because of an operation which determines the middle point for notch/slot to happen, instead of the usual fixed height notching.

• Ideal script to generate massing models for complex geometries.
  • It uses a global coordinate grid to determine cutting plates location, which allows two adjoining form to be baked separately while cutting plates matching across the two form.
  • Best used in mm scale.

This is not a simple script, not intend for general purpose.
The script still relies on solid Boolean operations, thus limited to what Rhino 'can Boolean'.

I'll add more description about the script later when I have more time.
I attached a form testing file, which you can play with some forms that I've sketched.

This is my first post, suggestions and comments appreciated.
Inspired by David Fano's Parametric Truss script.

waffle_20101228.ghx, 1.6 MB is the latest script (hope it works on GH0.8)

Views: 126255

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

It doesn't seem to work for me with latest update and only one of the forms in the example .3dm file actually works. ? Opens up with 8 errors.

Hi Den,

Sorry that I'm so busy with other stuff at the moment.

See if Rob's suggestion might help?

Cheers

Victor,

I review Rob's comments, but still no luck. The example file you provided seems to work, but only with the object that was waffled and baked, the others in the file will not work. Opening up the file gives error messages, and red components as seen in images. All that happens, is a series of points around the object.  Is there anything that can be done to update the script to latest GH version? This seems to be only thing I can think of as to why its not working. Any help would be appreciated, as I could really benefit from a script like this in studio. Thanks for your time.

I have updated the script with GH0.9.0014, added some new stuff.

Again, the logic and thinking of this script is noted to be slow. It is designed to work with complex shapes like center hollow etc. If you are working with many smaller items, you are advised to seek an simpler alternative for a waffle generating script.

The script is 2.5 years old. I'm not very excited about maintaining this script or add more feature. I think some people are still using it though, so I thought updating it to GH0.9 will allow it to be useable for a few more years. 

2013-04-19 This version is updated to GH 0.9.0014.
Added custom made single line text generation
Added push button to bake preview and curves
Added mesh preview

Attachments:

Hi sorry to keep bugging you about this script but i'm incredibly new to grasshopper and for me this plugin is absolutely perfect for a project i'm working on. The problem that i'm having is baking the final 3D Object. I've been able to bake the 2D with text for but I can't bake the 3D and use it as a reference. Also might point out that non of the output options on the far right work you have to trace them back and use those buttons instead to bake them.

Thanks for your continued support on this.

Hi Ben, 

If you want help, you better upload your Rhino file / GH File, state your software versions. Might be a version problem. This script is very old view from the modern 0.9 GH version.

Absolutely I shall upload it in less than an hour, just need to get to my laptop will reply after this one.

Rhino Version 5.5.30717, Grasshopper Build 0.9.0056 

Links to Gh and rhino file are attached below. 

One of the things I was wondering would was how this type of code could be used to create a pavilion like this (http://www.grasshopper3d.com/video/apx-workshop-2012-pavilion-param...) and similarly lay them flat on a plane? (sorry realise that this might be asking a bit too much and be completely unrelated to your code).

Attachments:
Hello, great work.

I am trying to achieve a random waffle effect meaning both in distance between ribs and direction of section planes (playing with some sculpture ideas in relation to light)

How hard is it to adjust the definition and how might I do it? Would you be able to do an updated version for me to learn from?

Also thinking about adding a parameter so that the definition could produce a rib effect rather than section, could that be easily done?

Thanks!

Hi Rui,

This script is more then 3 years old and I stopped maintaining them. The main reason why I discontinued it is because the script was originally tackling problems around many primitive functions that GH has in its early versions. Now in modern GH, this types of waffle scripts can be easily programmed, clean and easy to use. There is not much reason why I should continue maintaining it. 

I'm not sure if the script still work in the current GH version. But if it does, adjusting the spacing is easy as to changing the planes. Rib effect is not what the script trying to do, and modifying from this script is not the easiest thing that you should try.

If you are looking for a rib type of script, there are examples out there, which uses either a offset of section curve or similar logic.

I'm afraid I will not have the time at the moment to contribute writing this specific code for you.

No worries thanks Victor. I will look into other definitions. By your script works fine with the current version of grasshopper.

Rui

RSS

About

Translate

Search

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service