Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

https://vimeo.com/231300915
Hi,

the video above is the first try to make a 360° Video with Grasshopper. I still face some issues though. The gh file is attached and commented.

Issue #1: Some fragments of spheres, that are behind the camera, appear. This normally happens with weird lens length settings. The camera needs a 45° viewing angle and therefore might fall into this category. Maybe there is a good solution to get rid of this issue?

Issue #2: I have no clue how to run the screenshot calculation at the end of the solution. Normally I wanted to color the spheres in the video with the "Custom Preview" component, but they would not show up in the saved picture, since custom preview was calculated later than the screenshot component "Cubemap"

Issue #3: The calculation of an equirectangular image takes quite a while. ~4 seconds. Thats still good compared to the 9 seconds i had in the beginning. Multithreading through parallelizing could improve it even more, but it wouldn't work for me.

Especially ISSUE #2 is annoying and does not allow me to create a nice video. I would be glad if someone could assist me in this.
I actually tried already ExpirePreview or Solution, but maybe I used it the wrong way...

Best,
Martin

Views: 1738

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Martin,

nice Work, please find attached a vb component I have used to save a screenshot, quite while ago.

I can't realy remember what I was doing back then, but maybe you can have a look I had a similar issue there.

Concerning Issue #3 and maybe also #1 why don't render a cubemap -> with 6 / 90 degree cameras and export similar as facebooks ffmpeg transform cubemap algorihtme or use it to transform it back to a equirectangular projection... 

I automated this for simple panoramas and it works quiet well 

https://github.com/facebook/transform360

Looking forward to see that with the new rendering options in Rhino 6.0

Attachments:

Thanks Richard,

I had a short look at your script. Looks promising!

I am actually first producing a cubemap and then transforming it to equirectangular. Also looked shortly at transform360 already and thought it would not be able to do this kind of transformation, but it seems like it does! I will try it.

Also found another mistake in writing the screenshots, which is not mentioned above. I am only rotating the viewport and not the view itself. Visualising the camera looked a bit funny, it is like turning your eye inside your head, which does not make a lot of sense. Now I changed it and the camera is always facing the midpoint of the view - the normal behaviour - but for a real eye it would mean it is fixed to only one position and you would need to always rotate your head. Whatever...

Thanks a lot!

RSS

About

Translate

Search

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service