Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Dear GH users,

over the next 3 weeks (till November 12th) I'll be in Seattle at McNeel headquarters discussing the road ahead for Grasshopper 2.0. I'll probably have very little time for support and discussions during this period.

The major topics discussed for GH2 during this period will be:

• Documentation/Help
  • GHA/Cluster/VB/C# App-Store
  • Localization (i.e. languages other than English)
  • Constraint Engine implementation
  • Improved VB/C#/Python development tools
  • Multi-threading the solver
  • Building a Mac version

If you feel something important was left out, please let us know here. Note that incremental improvements and bug-fixes are not worth discussion as we'll try and get around to them no matter what. Topics on this list have to fit the "Are we going to try and do X?" format.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Tirol, Austria

Views: 10477

Replies to This Discussion

Wow. Learn something new everyday.

Hi David,

I'd really like the following two features:

1. Option to package any non standard components in use along with .gh definition.  Not sure how difficult it would be to walk through dependencies or how to load them when opening the gh file.  Obviously wouldn't be applicable for commercial components like GeoGym.

2. Share the 'additional' classes across scripting components.  I hate writing a special function and then copying the code because I need it again downstream, only to debug the upstream version and forget to change the downstream version and stare at my computer for an hour trying to figure out what's wrong.  Frustrating...

Cheers, Ben

Hi Ben,

I've started with option 1 already, but abandoned the project as I'm now re-evaluating possibilities. As you pointed out there's a problem with references and licenses when packaging GHA files with GH documents. I'd rather solve this problem by having a single gateway for getting GHAs installed (basically a Grasshopper AppStore). As long as that is available then I don't have to worry about anything else and I just have to include the ID of the GHAs that are used.

Wish 2 is a good one, I'm not yet quite sure how to expose it (should the code be shared amongst all VB components? Should the code be part of the GH_Document? Should the code be part of some external cloud?)

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Seattle, WA

Hi David,

multi-thread is a good idea.Is it possible to use graphic card to solve 3d metaball or gene algorithm in GH 2.0 .What about using OpenCL or other API? 

Hi panhao,

I doubt it'll go that far. We don't have any 3D metaball code yet so it's not clear what sort of optimizations are needed/possible. And Galapagos uses potentially all components, some of which don't have thread-safe code running on the inside. Multi-threading cannot be a top-down thing while the possibility exists that some components will crash or fail when the same functions are called from different threads.

The solution is to implement multi-threading on a per-component basis. Whether a specific component then allows Grasshopper to multi-thread it is up to the developer in charge.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Seattle, WA

Maybe this idea overlaps with the APP store. I end up working on a lot of different machines, at work and at university.

I propose some kind of gh profile setup that you can sync between all machines, that syncs plugins, user objects, custom component shortcuts, preview settings.

I also second the rhino viewer/gh control idea.

Hi Nick,
Syncing the entire Grasshopper folder via cloud (e.g. with Sugarsync) will just do that.
Keeping all the mentioned above on three machines in sync works like a charm for me.

Had a little chat about the viewer with Giulio recently. As I understand it, the only way to have a viewer independend of rhinocommon, would be to export something like screenshots for every slider combination. This would certainly result in a very large file though.
So what you see is what you get and you always need a more or less full rhino to run in order to change sliders...
Best,

Phillip

Hmm what about that?:

If you had Layers or a Hide/Show function in Grasshopper.. so one could organize large complicated scripts easily and keep the overview.

Maybe there could also be different settings to the layers, like: one option allows it to tick off the visibility of the components, another one ticks of their activity (as in, they do or don't get considered in the computation)

and: Loops, Loops, Loops.. the hoopsnake plugin is nice, but a sophisticated loop module with more options could increase the capabilities

See you

Can I use WPF to draw the commpont in the future?

No. In fact it won't even be possible to draw one using GDI+ or winforms. If Grasshopper is to run on both Windows and MacOS we need to abstract the drawing routines and re-implement them on the back-end with whatever platform is available. At the moment it looks as though we'll be using Direct2D for Windows and CoreGraphics for Mac.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Seattle, WA

script editting Improve Intelligence function..
etc, .NET_Editor tool than better changable other favorite tool (all IDE editor)
and
selectable copy or non-copy data flow-ing(as button process..) such as mutable or immutable at global flow.
and
reference var Name remoting (as not non-cache & ghwol...) to Globally variable
the example...
gh canvas split to window. so add (right)menu.
in flow GH component(original) to use varName referencing... variable link.
therefor this variable able to reference in expression.

Although the topics differ discuss....

compiled dll asembly changable updating function.

hmm...
able to rhino core to gh core? (core is history engine)
two merge~ (i wanna no baking __or__ lazy baking __or__ GH components to scripting library functional )
I wanna merged environment tool such as houdini.

because... RH script(dynamic  is good & portable...) & GH script(... almost aspected in develop the plug-in.. )

I wanna effect to Rhino command as in GH component library.(for fast work & practical devel)

(the separation were such as north korea & south korea -_-;)

therefore, GH function call in command line. -_-;

possible if will maximize to rhino.

lazy baking is optional or more lazy baking.;

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service