Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi all,

I am looking for a way to panel a few metaballs. As I'm looking for a best solution for this kind of surface, I'm not too picky when it comes to the shape of the panels as long as they are not triangles and planar. By the way, I'm fairly new to grasshopper and kangaroo.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance,

a.

Views: 13529

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe I should be more clear: 

The image is a sample of geometry that I already have. I want it to be paneled in some kind of controlled manner - I'm obviously not too good in explaining - I'm attaching an image of nicely paneled piece of a sphere, but the problem that I'm dealing with is that my metaballs are neither spheres, nor uv surfaces, so non of the paneling tools that I'm aware of actually work..

Anyone..?

Attachments:

Hi Agnete!

How do you have reached the solution of the hexagonal tiling?

I did not - found the piece of dome in a sketchup 3d warehouse... Although here you can find a relatively nice one: http://www.grasshopper3d.com/profiles/blogs/planar-hexagons-on-doub... 

and here: http://www.livearchitecture.net/archives/581

thanks a lot! if you discorver a simple way to have a mesh from metaball's curve update this post!!

I have made this simple solution..

I create bunch of points on those curves, bake them into rhino & "mesh from points" in rhino .. if that helps...

sorry for the attachend image..this was the image to answer you..

I need to have directly a mesh on grasshopper, to analyse it, and mesh from point isn't a good solution for me

sorry, I gave it a shot as well, looking for various solutions to create that mesh directly in grasshopper, but with my limited knowledge and patience, since it was not crucial to me, didn't find a way. 

If you do though, please share! 

cheers

All approaches to make a metaball mesh in GH involve the marching cube algorithm in some way. There are script component solution like organic mesh modeling, as well as plugins such as millipede.

All those will give you a mesh that looks like an overlay of 2D Metaball in X, Y and Z.

Depending on what you want to analyze, this might be a good start.

This way is pretty fun.  You basically wrap a geodesic dome around a set of metaball curves and shrink it.  You need kangaroo and weaverbird for this definition to work...

Attachments:

Here's another way of doing it using the LevelSet force in Kangaroo, which I think is a bit lighter than pulling to curves.

You can start with any mesh which encompasses the charge points, and it pulls the vertices to the isosurface value you choose. The springs and smoothing help keep it from distorting too much.

Attachments:

right!  I didn't realize that level set was in there.  built-in metaballer!

hi daniel ! i can't get the mesh you show above, i can't find what mistake i have make , cloud you help me ? thank you 

RSS

About

Translate

Search

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service