Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

GH addresses...just me, or utterly non-nonsensical

Can some more enlightened individual please explain how GH spits out list addresses? It doesn't seem to follow any sense whatsoever, making any attempt at parametric modelling an endeavour I have decided to coin 'smart-idiot' until proven otherwise. 

For example i have the following input:

1. A circle

2. points on that circle (from divide curve). 

Output address of the points: {0;0}

Firstly, what does that mean? I.e in c# i'm familar with lists represented as {0,0} meaning if i want to extract an item from that list, it is as simple as myList[0] etc. In GH that isnt the case. Why isn't its address {0} i.e a list of points with 'tree index' of 0?

Secondly, how does this address system even work? It seems to pluck these sequences out of some kind of secretive GH ether? I know with tree components its possible to control this somewhat, but its so convoluted and requires constant manual adjustment if certain dependencies change. Is there no control of list addresses from the off set? I've been using hoopsnake, and the never-ending address lengths which get longer and longer as it cycles is a joke. Is GH parametric software or semi-parametric because currently I feel short-changed? I'm even more aggrieved when I realise that if i do want to do more sophisticated definitions in GH, or have greater control over lists/trees, the scripting components are the only option, thus rendering the whole advantage of GH's visual programming utterly useless. Salvation please...

Views: 1624

Replies to This Discussion

Also: a couple suggestions for future questions:

1) don't ask a question if you aren't prepared for everyone not to chime in with "yeah, it's not you, brother!  grasshopper data structure is totally ridiculous!"

2) calling people with some modicum of expertise irrational and/or not bothering to deeply read their replies isn't likely to get you further help in the future.

I'm perplexed....'that guy'...'trash GH'. The internet is a democratic environment. If i'm making a valid argument which in my view will enhance and improve the useabiliablity and accessability of GH i would hardly describe that as trashing GH, but more a constructive debate. Next you'll be telling me xbox is better than ps3 and the samsung s4 sucks against an iphone 5....

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service