Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi All

I have a general question regarding how to control the behaviour of components when 'longest list' is selected, with a specifc example where I have run into problems. For some custom components, certain combinations of inputs can create a huge number of permutations when 'longest list' is selected which results in Grasshopper hanging for a long time (e.g. for over an hour before I switch off!). My question is whether it is possible for components to contain code that modify longest list behaviour, or whether my approach is wrong in terms of accepting a mixture of 'items' and 'lists' to my component. This specific example hopefully makes my question clearer:

I've created a suite of components for creating double layer gridshells, one of which adds a connector at each intersection point. This basically works by taking a curve (as an item), a list of curve parameters, a list of orientation vectors and the connectors as items.

If the component receives one curve, one list of curve parameters and one list of vectors it works fine. It also works fine if it receives a tree of curves (where each branch contains one item, achieved by grafting the input curve list in the attached example image), and trees of lists for the curve parameters and vectors. However, if it receives a list of curves and trees for the curve parameters and vectors it uses all of the curve parameters contained in all the tree branches for the 1st curve in the list, then again for the 2nd curve etc. For a small model this results in each intersection having multiple connectors, but for a big model it results in GH hanging due to the huge number of permutations.

Any pointers on how best to resolve this would be appreciated. I guess I could set the component up to expect datatrees and then sort everything out within my code, but I'm hoping there's a simpler way to control this.

Thanks!

Alex

Views: 5604

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I see.

I did not understand that last two specific interpolation components, but I will ask you if I need it. I guess.

Thank you for such an exhaustive replies and help, both of you.

I adore this community !!!

catmull? interesting. Bye the way, are these little component labels a new view mode? or will they be only for a specific set of components? Either way they are very elegant.

by* :)

These labels now show whether there's an option active in the component menu. Previously you'd have to open the component menu to find out, which was quite undiscoverable as a lot of components do not have extra menu items.

However they are fairly generic, so any object may choose to display one if it feels there's something the user should know about.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service