Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi there,

I'm having major issues now with GH performance after update to Windows 10 Pro Creator's Update 1703 Build 15063.674. Using Rhino 5.0 Version 5 SR14 32-bit (5.14.522.8390, 22.05.2017) even opening a simple file with 30 curves being lofted took like 2 minutes to complete and Rhino crashed afterwards saying:

"Windows is out of memory and Rhino will close after you click ok."

evethough I still had 7GB of free physical memory and my page file is set also to 16 GB just to be shure...

I then switched to Rhino 5.0 Version 5 SR14 64-bit (5.14.522.8390, 05/22/2017) which also had big problems to display the lofted surface. It was unresponsive after loading the file for a minute and a half and then it normally displayed the lofted surface. Every move of camera takes at least 10 seconds to update, but at least it runs. GH profiler says the loft took only 12 ms (90%). 

So I'm suspected my graphics card, because the Windows are just three weeks from a clean install. I've also updated my Graphics Driver from the stock Windows one to Intel HD one, but nothing changed.

Is there something I'm missing??? What can I try next?

My specs:
CPU: i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000, driver: 07.04. 2017, version 10.18.10.4653 

Views: 996

Replies to This Discussion

Could this be caused by a .NET security update?

If it is a graphics issue (it does indeed sound like one) then .NET is probably not involved. The profiler doesn't measure time it takes to build preview caches or paint the viewports.

Is Rhino itself (without Grasshopper) working ok? If Grasshopper is needed to make it fail, does it work if you disable the preview entirely?

Hello David!

Rhino works fine. I've just lofted a bunch of curves with instant display. In all display modes. Even zooming and panning around is responsive.

While doing the same in GH it works fine when the preview is off and even with the Draw Wireframe preview it is nicely responsive. It's the shaded preview which takes soooo long.

I also posted the problem here:

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/out-of-ram-and-extremly-slow-perform...

but there was no useful solution yet.

Hmm, I guess the discourse post is your best bet. All the Rhino display developers are there. It would be good to know if the same problem is still occurring on RhinoWip too, as we are still working on the display. I actually don't think there will ever be another Rhino5 Service Release, so if this needs a bug fix in code, you may be out of luck.

But let's see what the good folk on discourse have to say. For all I know it is a known problem with a readily available solution. Wouldn't that be nice for a change?

Thank you for the note there on the Discourse... :D

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service