Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

We are having severe bottle necks with GH in our work flow right now. This has been going on for various iterations of GH since release 0.9. Currently using 0.9.0062. I cant recollect it always being an issue.

We often define a definition with reference to 3-4000 reference objects in a rhino file that are the the first geometry drivers used as input in the definition of a down stream work flow. For instance curves representing the wireframe geometry of a 3D grid shell, form which we do some geometrical offsetting.

What we find is, if we then open that gh document without having the original rhino document containing the reference geometry used as input, we see 4000 null entries in the input parameter for curves say.

If we then use this gh definition/document to then reference a new set of geometry in a rhino document - i.e. select input curves parameter and select multiple objects - grasshopper will hang for ages, last count for over 30 minutes to an hour. This is unusable. 

there seems to be an issue where the original reference geometry which is no longer available, is being stored as persistent data, and when that document is opened, instead of the data being cleared form the input parameter, several thousand null entries are maintained which may cause this bottleneck when re-referencing the geometry from a new rhino document/geometry

One workaround we have used is to have two input curve parameters say, connected to one another, the output of the first feeds the input of the second. Then we just reference new objects in the first input parameter. For some reason we don't get a lag with grasshopper hanging when we do this. The other alternative is to delete the original input parameter and add a new one and reconnect all the wires which is a real pain............

cheers

Views: 948

Replies to This Discussion

Having the same issue as Steve, it appears as though any large datasets previously referenced are kept in memory causing a gigantic null array...the only way around it is to delete the offending input parameter and reinsert a fresh one into which the rhino geometry is then re-referenced. forgetting this though almost inevitably leads to a rhino or sometimes even system crash.

Would be very thankful for advice on this (using same version as Steve). Thanks.

I believe  this happens with 0.9.0064 too (seems like the same problem). 100 baked mesh points referenced to gh and used as anchor points for kangaroo simulation. if some are deleted  gh keeps asking for them with following message

1. Point with ID {e75eae59-6fde-477e-9bcc-713f0e502c2d} failed to load

only solution so far the one described by Gustav. delete point component, insert new one and rereferencing multiple points

*bump

I think it's the same problem as this one. When the parameter menu is opened, I populate the entire Warning and Error submenus and that just seems to take forever when using standard windows menus. Since every missing reference error/warning is a different string (because each has a different GUID) there can be thousands of these items.

I'll start testing whether this is indeed the problem soon (my Rhino is currently locked up for some weird reason :), but I won't be able to fix this soon as development of Grasshopper is already inside Rhino6 WIP code so the earliest fix for this is when the first Rhino6 beta goes out (hopefully less than a month).

At any rate, progress will be posted here.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Yup, if I disable the Warning menu, it's lickety-split. Now to find a way to put it back without re-introducing the delay.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

I now only show the 15 first errors/warnings/remarks and it's spiffy again.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

David thank you very much for responding to this. 

Even when I disable the warnings message widget from File -> Preferences -> Widgets, I still get the same  massive lag/hogging when I right click on the input parameter for re-referencing,

cheers

steve

Yup, that only disables the little balloon, it does nothing to change the menu. You'll have to either create a new parameter, assign then rewire, or you can disable the parameter, then assign new values, then enable again.

You can disable by selection and then pressing SPACE or RMB to get the radial menu.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

got it thanks, look forward to it being fixed, i hope, in the future..........

Woo! Rhino6 is here!, was it faster than other times? Promise that we are not going to have a new RH version every year, like Autodesk does :)

About the topic one thought: this is a good fast solution, but, what about being able to read all errors on demand to catch different type of errors or grouping same kind of errors and showing only how many of them we have?

Yes every year new version seems too much for the end user, especially when there is really not much added to the new version (ahm autodesk).

I think in earlier versions when something was deleted, then the component was turned back to orange for not having any data. Why has this changed?

which reminds me of a question or a wish for later releases.

is there a way to save an archive (zip?) with gh file and its accompanying 3dm file together? if not i believe it could belong to the to do list

RSS

About

Translate

Search

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service