Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi,

I am having some trouble with the image sampler, sometimes when I reopen the definiton the Image Sampler component would have disappeared from it all together. I am not sure what is causing it, but yesterday it happened when I was moving my GH-Definition to another machine, the image was missing on that machine - however the save file option was ticked, so that should not matter. Does anybody experience a similar problem ?

Many thanks,

Philipp 

Views: 940

Replies to This Discussion

It happened again... There was actually another problem in GH related to the script editor, it would not close the window and recalculate after hitting "OK". Also, scrolling in Rhino did not work any more. I get this combination of errors at last twice a day. Then after saving the GH File, closing GH and Rhino and reopening rhino and gh, the file seems to have the 3 image readers again missing. I attached error message.

Many thanks

Philipp

Attachments:

I can't repeat the problem, or find an obvious error in the deserialization code. However I added some extra error trapping logic so hopefully if the image deserialization fails, it won't prevent the Image Sampler from loading.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

More than 3 years later and this is still bugging me every so often. Some files simply refuse to save the image properly inside the image sampler. But I think I might know when it happens.

This is a scenario that happens a lot:

1 person creates a gh definition on their machine. They place an image sampler and load an image from their local machine (because network paths dont work, which would negate the whole problem). The image sampler is set to save the image in the file.

Now I open the same file on my machine and I DONT have the actual image file in the same location (because my user folder is different for starters). Normally this should work fine, but somehow it fails. Now I want to get back the image samplers, so I open a different file where it was working and copy/paste the image samplers back in. This works fine, but I somehow doubt that it is actually copying over the image data as well - or at least not properly. So you temporarily fix it, but when you open it again its missing again.

So I guess one solution to all this, that the image sampler should work like any other component and ditch all that special UI. It should have an input for file path and points. Then maybe a separate settings panel, kind of like Mesh Brep does for advanced settings like domain, color channel, etc.

Also you could add a new "image" datatype, if you wanted to save the image in the file, you can just internalise data on the image input.

And of course pretty please let network paths work as expected. Never came across any software that wouldn't work with network paths in the way GH does. Still keeping my fingers crossed that GH2 fixes that. Having to copy folders to the desktop and trying to keep them in sync across multiple computers is just asking for trouble. Using the same location for each file and maybe even making paths to images and such relative to the document would fix all those problems.

Sorry, rant over ;)

I have had this same issue (and same warning in the event log) running on 0.9.0061.  Same thing, file is checked as saved in the image sampler, then when opening the GH file on a different machine where that path was not accessible and the image sampler component would drop out of the definition completely.

I was never able to consistently recreate this bug, it was largely hit or miss if the image sampler would fall out or not when opening up the grasshopper file on a different machine.

We were working on a project with image sampler.  Our image was roughly 300 x 300 inches 72 dpi files sized 150 mb.  The definition worked but cannot be saved, because the file would become corrupted when we tried to open it.  We figured the physical size / file size of the file was the issue.  So we reduced the overall image size to 15 x 15 inches 300 dpi file size 10mb and it worked perfectly fine.  

RSS

About

Translate

Search

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service