Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Dear all,

Grasshopper and Rhino 4 no longer get along and Grasshopper has decided it's time to move out. As of today, Grasshopper is officially a Rhino 5 only plug-in.

Today we are re-releasing 0.9.0014 with an updated installer that will install Grasshopper on all Rhino 5 installations on a system, be they 32 or 64 bit. There was a snag which prevents us from releasing an updated version and we won't be able to fix this until Rhino 5 SR1, though that shouldn't be all that far off as we've already been typing on SR1 for several weeks.

You can download the new installer from the usual location.

Here are some details, facts and suggestions in no particular order:

• If you already have Grasshopper 0.9.0014 (released on September 28th 2012) running on Rhino4 and Rhino5, it's best to ignore this release.
  • The new installer will put Grasshopper into ProgramFiles(x86)\Grasshopper for Rhino 5\ or into MyDocuments\ depending on user privilege levels.
  • The new installer should not uninstall Grasshopper from Rhino4.
  • Grasshopper for Rhino4 will never expire.
  • There's no reason why you couldn't keep both the old Grasshopper for Rhino4 and the new Grasshopper for Rhino5.

You can always download the last release of Grasshopper for Rhino4 from our servers if you need to, we'll try and keep it available indefinitely.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Vienna, Austria

Views: 95622

Replies to This Discussion

You can use the Rhino PluginManager command to see where all the plugins are loaded from.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

I used it, and under the file name it shows that it is loading it from C:\Program files\Grasshopper for Rhino 5\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp. which is the right location.

However, when I start GH, it loads the 20120928 version one, which is for Rhino 4.

I un-installed GH for Rhino 5. When I went to the pluginManager, I found out that GH still exists there and it is loading it from Rhino 4 plugins folder.

I un-installed Grasshopper from Rhino 4 folder, deleting the complete directory. So that GH does not exist in Rhino 4, or Rhino 5.

Then I installed GH for Rhino 5, and tried to open it, I mysteriously found out that it is still opening the Rhino 4 version and ending with the same error message of course. I checked the pluginManager, and it shows the file name as C:\Program files\Grasshopper for Rhino 5\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp.

So how on earth it is opening the 20120928 version and ending with the error message when GH does not exist on Rhino 4?

Hi!

I just updated to Rhino5 sr2 and I have this message out of a C# component :

Warning: En supposant que la référence de l'assembly 'RhinoCommon, Version=5.1.30000.4, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=552281e97c755530' corresponde à 'RhinoCommon, Version=5.1.30000.6, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=552281e97c755530', il se peut que vous deviez fournir une stratégie runtime

And I get some very strange and erratic behavior...

What's happening? Is it possibly the sr2?

any clue? please help!

I'm not sure. the C# code is compiled against whatever RhinoCommon is currently loaded. It cannot be associated with a specific version of RhinoCommon. I'm still using 5.1 (auto-update didn't work for some reason), but I'm updating now, see if I can repeat the problem.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

Nope. I just got 5.3 and the C# component is running just fine. Grasshopper is compiled against 5.1.30000.4, so if Rhino 5.2 has SDK version 5.1.30000.6 that would explain the warning you get.

However a version mismatch warning is typically not important, you should be able to ignore it. What is the strange and erratic behaviour you mentioned?

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

Thanks for your concern David. Some of my script components turn orange an others don't, some give outputs, other don't, and sometimes I got duplicate outputs (like 4 to 12 times the same value when there should be one).

Can you start a new discussion on the VB/C# or Bug forum and post a file that gives weird results?

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

Just sent you a mail.

Got it. If I find something I'll post the results here (without sharing your data of course) so it's easier to find later.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

It's the same warning as we discussed already some time ago on this post. Do you remember?

I do now. I also found the problem. It's because of localized error messages*. I filter that compiler warning, but so far I only filter the English one. German and French are slipping through. I can probably write a smarter filter that catches these warning no matter what language they appear in.

In the meantime, it should have nothing to do with scripts 'acting weird'.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

* Someone please, PLEASE shoot whoever thought that localizing error messages was a good idea.

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service