Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

It was brought to my attention (thankfully) that there was a bug in the last build of Firefly (1.004) which was causing Rhino to crash upon closing any Grasshopper document.  Thanks to David's help, I was able to track down the problem and a new release of Firefly (1.005) has just been uploaded to the Firefly website.  If you have an older version, it is highly recommended that you upgrade to this newest release.  Our apologies if this caused any inconvenience and we welcome any feedback you may have to make this tool even better.

To download the latest build, check out our website at: http://www.fireflyexperiments.com

Views: 593

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Andy,

I seem to be getting this Error when i start GH after installing the new version you just released in the command line and no Firefly Components Installed as before using notes in Read me

An exception occured during GHA assembly loading:
  Path: C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Roaming\Grasshopper\Libraries\Firefly.gha
  Exception System.IO.FileNotFoundException:
  Message: Could not load file or assembly 'libTUIO, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Still running Rhino V5 and GH8.004 as before which other that exit crashes worked fine when open.

Any thoughs??

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt,

It looks like its failing to find the libTUIO.dll file in your Roaming folder.  When you updated this new version, did you also place the libTUIO.dll file inside the folder along with the .gha?  I'd like to use an installer for the next release to fix this issue, but double check to make sure it has access to that .dll file.  If that's not it, I'll have to track something else down (as it seemed to be working fine on my machine)

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yeah both have been updated in the roaming folder as before, even tried to restarting my computer and even re-downloading it and trying the process again, but with no luck.

I am running on Windows Vista 64bit and Rhino 5 64bit but that seem to be no problem with earlier realses...

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt,

Have you tried to install this on Rhino 4?  I'm just curious if this problem is specific to Rhino 5? or if its something bigger.  Regardless, I'll do some digging on this and see if I can come up with a solution.  Please let me know if you run into this error when you try to install this on Rhino 4.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Matt,

I'm a little stumped about this issue.  I just tested Firefly on Rhino 5 (64 bit) and I had no issues at all.  I have both the Firefly.gha file and the libTUIO.dll file in the Roaming folder and it loads properly.  I'm also running it on Vista 64bit (as you were) so I don't know why this would be causing an issue.  Do you have any old versions of Firefly installed on your computer?

-Andy

Hi Andy,

Its loaded fine into Rhino 4 but was having problems with ports, but i think thats just my computer.

I had version 4 installed before, just draged and dropped components into Roaming Libraries folder as do with both fire fly and all other plug-ins. Though it choose the option to override the dll file beacuse the new one is called just Firefly I had to delete Firefly 1.004 by hand then restarted rhino.

Would it be the computer is confused and not deleted the old version correctly?

Matt

Yes... that very well could have been the case.  I intentionally made a point (for better or worse) to change the name back to just Firefly.gha (dropping the revision number).  This will become important in the future if I use installers so I don't have to go roaming around looking for every different name that Firefly has ever created.  It will just search for the current Firefly build and replace that with the new installed version.  So, it is important to remove any older versions as this will cause issues when the libraries are loaded.  Hopefully, all is running smoothly now.  Thanks again for posting your feedback.  I'm glad to hear it isn't something major and hopefully this whole process will become much more streamlined in future releases.

Cheers,

Andy

So how to do i fix that problem??? As still very broken. Tried to reinstall Firefly 4 and it runs ok till i try and use my code to move the servo then i get Errror... Can not find COM 9, even though the device manager says thats Arduino.

Matt

So you haven't been able to get Firefly_1.005 to work at all?  You're back to using 1.004?  Can you make sure you've deleted all previous installations of Firefly (Check both locations:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rhinoceros 4.0\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\Components

and

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Grasshopper\Libraries)

Then copy/paste both files from the new 1.005 installation folder into the Roaming folder (I know you've probably already done this a thousand times... just better to do it fresh from scratch).

Then, go to the Arduino IDE and load up the most recent Firefly Firmata (the naming here changed as well... although that shouldn't make such a big different because the content is mostly the same).  Make sure you've set your COM number (with Rhino being closed) and upload it to the board.  Then, close the Arduino IDE.

Now, open up a fresh document and drop a Ports Available component on the canvas.  This should tell you which port are connected... I've noticed in testing that occasionally it gives you more than one value (possibly because it's picking up your mouse as a COM port... although I'm not totally sure).  Make sure the number you feed downstream (whether you manually type it in or use the data from the Ports Available component) matches the COM number from the Arduino IDE.   Open the Port, then use the Uno Read or Uno Write component.  You can open one of the example files included in the download to make things faster if you want.  If for some reason you still can't get things to work, please send me a copy of the file so I can test things on my end.  You can email me at andyopayne[at]gmail[dot]com. 

Cheers,

Andy

Finally fixed thank you. Redownloaded the zip file and droped in the dll then read the info seemed somehow i had been able to get a mix up with an old one even when i overrided it.

Thanks for all the help.

Will post our project tommorrow hopefully.

Thanks again

matt

It works fine here. Rhino 4 SR9, Windows XP 32.

I put FireFly in the Components Folder found in File/Special Folders.

Thanks!

Good to know.  Thanks for reporting.  It's working on both versions here too, so we'll see if anyone else has this issue.

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service