Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Is there any reason not to upgrade from VS2008 to VS2010 for building Rhino plug-ins and Grasshopper custom components?

Cheers

Views: 413

Replies to This Discussion

You might not like the font rendering quality of WPF. I know I don't. It's fuzzy compared to the ClearType quality used in VS 2008.

Other than that, no reason I can think of. Just be sure you change the default target framework in VS 2010 from .NET 4.0 to at most .NET 3.5

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

Thanks David. Will Rhino5 be implementing .NEt 4.0?

Steve

Yes, by default. But there will be a command line switch on Rhino5 startup that allows you to use older versions. This is done since there are some breaking changes in .NET 4.0 that might cause existing plugins to no longer work. We ran into one of these but fixed the problem on all frameworks, but not all plugin developers might have the time/possibility to do this.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

Hi Steve,

there are a couple additional things you will notice when switching.

The first one is the Rhino_DotNET.dll does not allow VS2010 to compile targeting .Net < 4. This version of VS thinks that Rhino_DotNET.dll has an indirect reference to .Net 4, so it refuses to target anything less than that. Please read this plug-in newsgroup thread carefully. This does not apply if you only reference RhinoCommon.dll and there are workarounds (read there).

Another point is that debugging is more difficult if you are creating .Net plug-ins for Rhino 4. This topic is also addressed in that thread.

Finally, Rhino 5 can load the .Net 4 runtime and framework libraries. See this blog post by Steve. Watch out if you think that you will need to switch back from .Net 4 to 2, because some things (like the .Net default settings storage format) in the library are not backward compatible. This means that once .Net 4 runs, .Net 2 could not be able to read .Net 4 application settings. I hope this helps,

- Giulio

giulio@mcneel.com
McNeel Europe, Barcelona

Thanks guys!

I am finding that a cusotm DLL library i am using as a reference in my solution will no longer build in VS2010 as it references the Rhino 4 RhinoDotNet.dll. 

Error 543 'RMA' is not declared. It may be inaccessible due to its protection level. 

I loaded the same solution in VS 2008 and it has no no problems with protection level.

I guess the only way to get this to work in VS2010 is to re-write my Class DLL library using rhino ocommon or not use VS2010?

Any other ideas?

Steve

Hi Steve,

can you please post the rest of the errors or warning that you receive? A screen capture is ok, too.

- Giulio

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service