Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi everyone,

I'm new in the grasshopper environment so please excuse me if I ask obvious or stupid questions!

I'm trying to model an hexagonal tessellation (as regular as possible) of an arbitrary patched and trimmed surface defined from a 3D boundary (as in img1). The result I'm looking for is something like the other two pictures (2 and 3).

I tried several ways to get a decent result using kangaroo and circle packing, but in this case I'm not able to define automatically the correct amount of circles to populate the geometry with and eventually I have some problems on the boundary's vertices.

I'm sorry to bother you all but I'm really stuck here and I cannot find a solution, any help would be incredibly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance

Views: 5898

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Here's the definition

Attachments:

Wait a minute : you said hexagons (thus I've used the Lunchbox component). I'll include an "equal" (kinda) triangulation approach (via Kangaroo) in the forthcoming definition of mine.

As regards my approach:

1. It's very fast (you had 100++K things send to Kangaroo).

2. You can (as Plan B) use "intact" (whole NOT trimmed) panels (Lunchbox can make a variety of "patterns") and mastermind some "peripheral ring" - kind or gigantic "flange" - that could address the "adjust" issue. In fact marrying hexagons with nurbs ... it's not that easy (for a "perfectly" pleasing result).

3. The trim issue (the GH bug) is addressed (with a complex way, but blame GH for that).

4. You don't need any meshed surface since our goal is panels not surfaces (although achieving planarity is impossible - meaning that if you need transparency you'll opt Lexan instead of glass, with the obvious thermal loss disadvantages).

more in a while

best, Peter 

OK, friends

This is C.A.T. (Computer Aided Torture). Here's why:

a. one second to decide some solution (with hexagons) without any mesh around (I hate meshes).

b.3 hours to think (and try) ways to overcome that GH bug (see previous def version).

For Giorgio and Daniel:

Internalize it works occasionally - use Rhino file

For Daniel:

Activate the Named View "for Daniel" : I would strongly suggest to do some similar thing in some future K build (utilities).

For Giorgio:

Well (I do hope that Daniel, doesn't read this, he he) ... I hardly can see why using Kangaroo for relaxing these hexagons (notice the separation of "whole" and "trimmed" stuff). If I was you I'll stopped on that :

more soon (alternative panel patterns via Lunchbox and a free bonus: pics of nice looking girls)

best, Peter

Attachments:

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I tried to use your advice and I wanted to try to pull a triangulated mesh to the surface:

It seems I did not understand your method. My problem is about anchor points: how can i tell the mesh to move the nearest mesh vertices to my anchor point? I thought that the pull to surface component could do the job but it seems I'm terribly wrong.

I'm sorry to bother you all with this :(

To peter: It's kinda hard form me to fully understand your definition, and for my work I'm meant to write my own so I thought to use your advice and try to remap and trim a triangular tessellation on my surface (keeping just the surfaces inside) but eventually I will have to relax it and stretch it on my original surface (as written above)...

This is my definition so far

Gh 3dm

hey. i think the files you've put are not working.

A vast variety of changes are performed (and numerous bugs are fixed : for instance the trimmed content send to Kangaroo that was wrong). Def works with Kangaroo (Plan A) or my way (Plan B).

Plan B is captured (+ some "boundary finish zone") with no mesh and no relaxation involved - but that's also truth with Plan A (the no mesh thing, that is).

I decided to finish the definition for using it myself as well

more soon (the finished thing + 5 test cases).

hello everyone, i see this question is for 4 years ago, but, well, after 4 years now im facing some similar issues on grasshopper.

the whole story is, that i have a trimmed surface, made with "patch" command. i want to tessellate my surface somehow like the famous "heydar aliev" museum by Z.Hadid. i want to tesselate the roof by some triangles. clearly i've tested the lunchbox, but since the surface is a trimmed surface, lunchbox can't get it. 
i've tested all the codes and grasshopper files here, specially the ones which @peter have sent them, but non of them is working well in my case. 

thanks in advance

Attachments:

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service