Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi, I am a graduate student in University of Southern California, and I want to ask some questions about using Ladybug and Honeybee. So I need to do some research about how the glaring problem caused by high-reflective and concave skyscraper. I need to simulate the Walkie Talkie building, and I need to pin point the location of the sunrays hitting the ground after being reflected by the facade and spot potential glare areas. And figure out the thermal comfort of the people standing of that point. I saw some discussion given by you about ray tracing , do you have any example file that I can refer to?  Thanks!

Views: 3236

Replies to This Discussion

Code attached in next post - sorry I forgot it!

Oh!  Forgot to attach the code, so sorry.

Attachments:

Parabola top and bottom (concave):

Straight line bottom, parabola top (concave):

*** CONVEX PARABOLA BOTTOM ***

Convex Sweep - still a focus effect due to vertical edges (parabolas) used as rails:

Same rails as the extreme "Flat Parabola":

Attachments:

Amusing art and GH code but sun rays bouncing at fixed grid points on the building's surface are a little math gremlin, eh?  Exaggerating solar intensity as a function of cross-sectional surface area relative to altitude and azimuth?  Fun to see, though, how concave surfaces focus and concentrate light:

Same building facing south in three cities (latitudes), late November between 0800 and 1600 (patterns vary by time of year too):

Honolulu, Hawaii (Lat ~21)

San Francisco, California (Lat ~38)

Fairbanks, Alaska (Lat ~65) (using 'Relative' instead of 'Absolute' setting on 'Heat Map'):

(re-posted with smaller animated gifs, 640 X 480)

Attachments:

Low resolution is better when looking at "Bounced Lines on Surface Normals" (cyan light blue).

'Sun Grid' at 2.5 and 'cell size' at 4.

Honolulu, Hawaii (Lat ~21)

San Francisco, California (Lat ~38)

Fairbanks, Alaska (Lat ~65)

Attachments:

This version uses a grid of evenly spaced "solar rays" so there are fewer intersection points near dawn and dusk.  Slower at high resolution but more realistic.

Attachments:

Slightly better code organization (part of it shown):

Attachments:

As before but high resolution - cell size of 0.125, viewed from above on east side:

"Flat Top", concave parabola bottom

"Convex Bottom", convex parabola bottom, concave parabola top

And again, 'Srf Complex 2', straight line bottom, concave parabola top:

RSS

About

Translate

Search

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service