Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Yesterday I found myself reaching for the Grasshopper fix for a very unlikely job.

A colleague asked me if I could quickly combine some data together into a spreadsheet rather than him copy and pasting hundreds of files. Normally I would simply write a VBA macro in Excel and be commended for being a life saver for doing this in under half an hour. I found myself opening Rhino/Grasshopper and achieving the same results in under 5 minutes. He then got me to do the calculations he was going to do in Excel as well (Note the explanations are for the benefit of my work colleague)

Here's the definition:As you can see I have only used components from 3 native tabs (Params, Math, Sets) and gHowl for the spreadsheet writer.

This got me wondering. "Is there scope for a stand alone Grasshopper IDE Lite version that doesn't need Rhino and any geometry components?" and "How many others have used Grasshopper for none Rhino purposes?"

Any thoughts?

----------------------

Hi my name is Danny and I am a gh addict.

Views: 2892

Replies to This Discussion

Has nothing to do with practicality, but speaking of addiction, about a week ago I had a dream that v.9 was released.

Was it any good?

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

:)

Dreaming of connecting wires, it must have been boring... unless it slowly morphed into tentacle p*rn.

Who said connecting wires is boring ?!

yeah, it was great: in my dream, "internalize data" preserved tree structure. 

Dream On

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

The version number is obscured, is this in version 0.9.0001

0.9.0002 by now. And I just finished writing this 10 minutes before I posted, so I'm the only one who's got it for now.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

Very nice. Can this format be applied in the Expression of an input or output to get a user path. therefore allowing you to flatten on a specified branch

If you want to flatten on a specified branch then you can use the flatten component. I haven't added a feature yet where you can specify a path for use inside the flatten post-process. The only reason I added the colon prefix here was because it's actually quite likely that you'd want to enter a proper path and the two would then conflict. I doubt a special prefix is needed elsewhere.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service