Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hello Everyone. 

I am pretty green in this community and the grasshopper. 
Fascinated by Indian stepwell, I am wondering if there is any ways of interpreting it in grasshopper.

I made a paper model, but still I have no idea how to parametrize it. Are there any ways of doing it?? 

Views: 5417

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the input I have used AutoBad for far too many years, then I care to remember :{ I changed over to ArchiCad some years ago, together with SketchUp and Layout to create working drawings and details, for many years now. I would not consider Rhino for serious work, ....it has that lingering 1980's AutoBad flavor....totally....totally old school! However it remains to be seen if  Autodesk Dynamo Studio will be a challenge to Rhino/GH

2 points regarding the Stepwell script:

1. If the main Landing becomes a Square area, would that not eliminate the ODD corner stair situation (where you end up walking down into a wall)

2. please add a suffix to each script to differentiate it from a former posted scripts

cheer!

Your 2 points are well taken. Yes, there are some "anomalies"  in the corners of the geometry that Laurent's script creates.  I haven't got to the point of understanding everything he did yet, so I haven't tried to fix those areas. But I think the print I am making now will be accurate enough to give people a pretty good idea of what a stepwell is. No one here in the US has ever seen anything like that, so it is hard to explain what they are. I'm sure a model will help.

This was the first script I ever uploaded here and it just never occurred to me to differentiate them.  I'll do that from now on.  Thanks for the reminder.

I have (briefly) looked at Dynamo Studio, but since I have a basic resistance to any subscription type software I never gave it any serious consideration. I do believe Autodesk makes good stuff though. And I am getting more and more comfortable (and capable) with GH; it's surprising how much stuff is in there.

I'm sure without Laurent we would not be having this discussion. He tried his best to emulate a stepwell. However the real stepwell geometry is more complex. I'm simply responding to a square landing could cleanup the 90 degree corner situation, of the script Laurent created, regardless it wont make the stepwell more like the original.

If you look at the Polar Array comp, its set to 4 meaning 1 side is rotated 3 times making a stepwell frame. So if you isolate the first side you can adjust the landing.

Also....I'm quite sure the subscription model is not going to work. Its developed by simpletons incapable of critical thinking. Right now I have not used Archicad for 2 months, why would I want to pay an ongoing fee, if there is no need to use the software. I'd rather pay to keep the heat on. Luckily the firm I work for bought ArchiCad.

cheers!  

Here's a pic of my stepwell model:

I agree it has some  glitches at the corners but for a first attempt I am quite happy with it. The print took about 8 1/2 hours with a 0.200 mm layer height. It requires internal support and I used my standard 15% triangle mesh for that.

Thanks for sharing the progress of your work. It is always interesting to see things in real. I am sure that your print will be useful to show a stepwell. Before this discussion I didn't know these type of construction.

8.5 hrs. ... yikes! I recall that's now long it used to take to render a single frame before high end video cards came along. ...Nice Ashtray! 

Hello Birk,

I am also fascinated by the indian stepwells and i was wondering if you could share your model with me, in a version that could allow me to use it on the software sketchup, as i don't know much in 3D ;).

I am a graphic designer and i would like to try some drawing using the 3D model as a base. I will definitely share my graphic with you if i arrive to come with something interesting.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Let me know what you think about it.
Thank you very much.
Nice to follow your project.
Best

Yannick

RSS

About

Translate

Search

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service