Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

In response to this discussion:

http://www.grasshopper3d.com/photo/mesh

I am posting my definition for generating an open foam mesh.

(I didn't post back at the time because there were some troubles with weaverbird back then and I was having to use some ugly workarounds, but now that is all fixed)

To sum up the approach -

take a random cloud of points

generate the 3d voronoi

scale the edges of the cells towards their centres, and also towards the centres of the faces.

connect these 2 sets of scaled edges with mesh quads and join

cull some of the outer faces

subdivide and smooth with weaverbird

(In the video there were some other variations on the smoothing/relaxation, both of the initial point positions and the final mesh, using hoopsnake and/or kangaroo)

Views: 202034

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Martin,

the first picture shows best what I meant, but it seems that the geometry is built and cut off by the torus geometry. The original look of the shape is gone more or less. What I would like to achieve is a porous structure which is generated from the outside to the inside to maintain the original shape as close as I will define...

servus,

Thomas

A great working process,if i got the time, i will try it out! good stuff gents! 

great post, thanks to this I could do this little experiment

Printed in a makerbot

Hi Juan-That looks great. I am wondering how you close the open end of the mesh to make it water tight for 3D printing? I'm trying to 3D print something like this but now clue how to turn it into a closed mesh/Brep. Thanks in advance.

my rhino5 is no loading the meshdual component.

any idea?

Thanks

Hi Stefano, that's odd - It's working fine for me in the latest Rhino5 64bit with the latest GH.

Is the MeshDual.gha in your Special Folders>Components Folder ?

yes it is there.

could it be the wrong GH version ? 

It was written a while ago, so should work even with the previous GH versions. Your screenshot below suggests you still don't have this component installed though.

Try downloading the file below and dragging onto your grasshopper window:

(it should then show up under Mesh>Triangulation)

Attachments:

it doesn't....

why is that? 

If the latest release of Weaverbird is working on your computer, it contains a "weak dual" component.

it is working but i don't know which is the component you talk about.

here is the error message i get.

Attachments:

i found out that's a problem with microsoft framework 4, and is not working only in rhino5. In rhino4 is fine.

I don't know really what to do....

RSS

About

Translate

Search

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service