Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

In response to this discussion:

http://www.grasshopper3d.com/photo/mesh

I am posting my definition for generating an open foam mesh.

(I didn't post back at the time because there were some troubles with weaverbird back then and I was having to use some ugly workarounds, but now that is all fixed)

To sum up the approach -

take a random cloud of points

generate the 3d voronoi

scale the edges of the cells towards their centres, and also towards the centres of the faces.

connect these 2 sets of scaled edges with mesh quads and join

cull some of the outer faces

subdivide and smooth with weaverbird

(In the video there were some other variations on the smoothing/relaxation, both of the initial point positions and the final mesh, using hoopsnake and/or kangaroo)

Views: 202036

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

hi vicente or someone else,

how can i change the structure (voronoi 3d) of such a skeleton mesh, with a curve or point-parameter?

the picture with the blue 2d voronoi example shown my intention.
so how can be applied this approach to a 3d voronoi/skeleton mesh?

thanks

Attachments:

Make the two scale factors proportional to the distance value.

Hello I am a studnet in Architecture and new to grasshopper. I really want to learn more and have been trying to apply your script to another form however it doesn't seem to work. Could you advice me please on what the problem might be?

Essentially my shape is a mesh that resembles the horn of a gramophone. I have attached the rhino file.

Thank you so much!

Attachments:

Hi Benny,

You attached the wrong Rhino file. Can you also attach the GH file you are trying to apply?

Aww sorry. This should be it with the gh file . Thank you!

Attachments:

You can make your original shape from a single surface. Do you want sharp seams between the rings or you prefer a continuous smooth surface?

Do you want to generate the skeletal structure only on the surface, leaving the inside empty, or do you want it to fill the shape as a volume?

Well I would like to have it as a continuous smooth surface and I think because I was struggling to make it I endedn up with polysurfaces and joining them :/ I did think that might be the issue why its not picking up the skeletal structure?

I wanted to have the skeletal structure only on the surface with inside empty. Would it be easy to make? 

Here you have. This version will work properly only if the naked edges of your surface are coplanar to its bounding box.

I applied "Lloyd's algorithm" to evenly space the sample points a bit more. If you want them more random use only one of the clusters.

Attachments:

OMG that is amazing! Thank you sooo soo much!!! :)

Just a quick question do I still need to connect my rhino file to the gh i downloaded or not in order define surface?

I have found the 2 naked edges on my rhino file and tried to cap them which I think it did but how can I make them coplanar to the bounding box as if i do bolean union it doesnt seem to work? Or am I doing it wrong?

Why do you want to cap the surface?

Well I though you said for this to work the naked edges of the surface need to be coplanar to its bounding box? When I load the grasshopper file you kindly gave me it does not pick up the surface of the rhino file? Also comes up with a message that I need grasshopper 9.00071 but the latest I can find is 9.00070?

Sorry I am new to this software I might be asking a really stupid question :(

RSS

About

Translate

Search

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service