Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Principal curvature lines on surfaces: need some advice please

Hi,

To generate a grid structure based on a surface, I wanted to determine the principal curvature lines in a UV-point. This seems more complex than it sounds. Though, there is a Principal curvature component in GH, and it outputs the two values for the principal curvature in that point, and the two orthogonal directions. But how to construct a curve based on that data?

Anyone willing to share some experience?

I've included a snapshot of the (simple) definition generating a hypar, and a UV-point on that surface.

Also you can find the ghx attached

Thanks!

Niels

more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principal_curvature

Views: 16266

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

There's some redundancy of components that could be eliminated.

Chris

Attachments:

Thank you Chris,

I've connected your definition to my surface and my point definition, and it shows two curves, as an intersection of the planes you defined with the base surface. This is indeed in that specific point, the principal curvature direction (min and max).

But the difficulty remains: how to construct or calculate the Principal Curvature Lines through that point. Maybe this cannot be solved in GH, but it should be obtained by solving a differential equation, perhaps, iteratively?

I think I am stuck...

Niels

Attachments:

Is this what you're looking for? 

Chris

Attachments:

Sorry, I've been completely misunderstanding what you're looking for (and there's an osculating circle component in any case).  I tried to do this once (that is create the curve of principal curvatures) but had no luck with it at all.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LineofCurvature.html

Chris

Hi Niels,

How about using Chris' approach as above, then get a line from the sample point to the circle, rotate this line 90 degrees over a plane built with 3 quadrants of the circle and move this rotated line to the sample point.

The first derivative at that point would give you the slope of the tangent line to the surface curvature, but you will still need a reference plan to draw it onto.

I hope it helps

Cheers

Evert

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service