Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

one more push before the thesis ! (i'm a shigheru ban wannabe)

Hi all !

my thesis deadline is in about 12 days (and counting) and i need to finish this structural system for the roof.
what i want to do is replicate shigheru ban's system that he used for the metz pompidou project and the zabgreb airport proposal.
actually these are 2 slighly different versions.

the metz project has bulky woven poles while the airport project has skinny non-woven poles.

metz:

the airport version:

my current situation:

for now i have the poles as separate surfaces from the roof. they do follow each other smoothly but they are separate objects (and i don't know how to merge them, since brep union doesn't seem to  work).

i also have the beam grid applied to the roof surface:

i need to make the beams follow the "poles". either of the two versions depicted above would be fine, whichever is quickest to do...

my definition currently has the hex grid in uv space, but i also have a version where the grid is in xy space and projected vertically onto the surface.

ban's project has the grid in xy space and projected onto the wavy surface, BUT it has local deformations of the grid around the poles:

in my version the poles are also slanted which probably isn't helping doing this easy..

i also centered the meeting point of the pole axis on centers of hexagons, to get some sort of radial symmetry for the upcoming grid morph.

anyway, i really hope i can find some help around here, lend me your thoughts....

thanks for the interest

Views: 14237

Replies to This Discussion

I want to draw a surface and I want to control the highness with point or with attractors.. My surface in plant is like a square.. It touches the ground in 3 difference points with a structure like your one.. I've created 3 "tornado" but i can't merge them with the coverage surface.. I've used the definition that I've found in a your thread but it doesn't work.. I think that to create the beam you've used the boolen different.. Am I right??

in the end i didn't use the surfaces for the poles that you see in the beginning, i made the grid on the wavy surface without the poles, then modified the beams so that they go downwards where the poles should be.          

You won't be able to make one surface of the "tornados" and the overall surface because of the topology.

Do you want to make a lattice on it, or keep it as a surface?

I would to create a coverage like your.. With a honeycomb and different kinds of panelling on top.. I'm working without mesh but I will try them.. I'm uploading my idea to be clear as possible.. I need to modify the tornados and also the coverage but I need only a surface..

Attachments:

well, you can't, because of the topology. rhino makes any surface out of what you might imagine as an endlessly deformable rectangular cloth. You can't really make your shape out of just one such "cloth", you need to stitch a few, therefore you get a polysurface or "brep" as rhino calls them. there is a way, but not very direct... you can try to model a single surface then trim it lie in the attached pic.

I get it.. Thank you for your answers... I will try to use this method..

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service