Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi everyone,

I am running into the problem of offsetting a continuous surface. I need it watertight for 3d print.

Seems that the normals at the connection edge are oriented differently, hence my impossibility of offsetting smoothly. I have tried also to offset same distance both sides of the surface with no success.

I am trying WeaverBird to do same operation, see attached . No solution yet, any hints?

Much appreciated!

Views: 3552

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Javier

Yes I want to do exoskeleton.  I also tried welding with no luck

Well did you try the file I attached? It works. You just need to increase the welding tolerance.

Yes I tried and I can weld, but it doesn't solve the ridges issue :(

And this is one WIP option in V2 (get BrepFaces out of that mesh (option = force quads) > extrude them both sides (d/2.0, that is) > "trim" them properly (that's a bit complicated AND VERY SLOW) > unite > ... But here we need an ugly mesh not a nice brep (life's cruel, he he).

Hi Peter, 

I am trying to work with this definition (v1), to get this type of output for a simple solid 3d print shell of the moebius. 

I enabled everything for an offset of 0.1, but I can not bake the solid geometry. What would you say I am missing?

Thank you for any advice.

Er ... you are missing ... hmm ... the V3 in fact, he he (the other(s) are "traditionally" written in a hurry, he he).

Problem is that I'm at home right now and the thing is in my practice (I do hope that I could find it since I've changed the name[what was it?] and the directory[ what was it?]).

The V3 works based on the famous(?) umbrella sticks theory (don't ask ... but you can search this Noble Forum if you like paranoid things, he he) that calculates vectors that define the brep trim(s) "help" breps (but do these make any sense? he, he).

Get this purely for fun (not your case) since you are after Mobius matters: A bit WIP at present time (as usual: the second C# should being included in the first, but it isn't) but if the what in the left C# is set to surface and the other C# is enabled: makes a drilled Mobius closed Brep (but does this make any sense? he, he).

more soon

Attachments:

Um, ok. But how can we connect both #C for it to work? I mean, is there an obvious thing I could/should be doing?!

By the way your comments are real fun.

It's called  O.S.C. ("Oops.Sorry.Chipa") - PS: I've left the other C# in a red alert state to indicate incompatible input (Brep instead of Surface)

Attachments:

Yes I can see the moebius at 0,0,0. But how would it allow me to imput my own custom surface, I do not seem to be able to.

Well ... as I said that's only for fun: it makes the simplest possible  M thing (Math.PI turn: the basic one) without any external input (as regards surface(s)). The other thing it can divide surfaces and "thicken"/perforate them .. but it's not a Mobius maker.

Anyway: what do you mean by asking "to input my own custom surface" ? Input where? To do what?

Ok. I need to do same operation of "thickening" but with my mesh surface, my own geometry (attached). See what you think?

I just need the same geometry, but as a solid offset, avoiding the ridge normal conflict typical in the mobius geometries. If it were possible with a mesh imput.

Attachments:

It's exactly the very same case with the other one (the Mobius "ant" situation > ants walking in one surface > they realize that can walk on the "other' as well > but do ants know/care about maths?).

You can realize within a second the ant oxymoron either by attempting to thicken the mesh with TSplines or thicken it (solid = yes) in Rhino.

I'm in the asylum right now ... but (as usual) I can't remember where this @%@% V3 is - even with 3 * double espressos (what was the name? is it V3 or V666? what was the date? what was the cause for renaming/moving it into some other chaotic directory?).

Apparently I must rewrite it from scratch (Yikes).

Moral: Yikes.

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service