Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi Guys,

I'm working on an islamic pattern based on octagon and squares, the way this is constructed is that the 2 shapes are related by mathematical formulas and then subdivided and morphed etc. 

now I need to manipulate the space in between them, how can I achieve this? 

Views: 3222

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Guys, 

Thanks for joining into the discussion, just to add that the relationship in my script is derived by the following formulas for the radius of both polygons; enjoy

Hi David,

i noticed that in your posts you never share any file. so there goes the enjoyment.

I believe the enjoyment comes from understanding the script, not just plug and play. 

That's definitely true, but understanding can be achieved 50 times easier/faster if we could see the data flow in the definition...
Be a dear, I think you owe these guys that much.

hey mate, i did not ask for help. you did. so since you want others to help, you might as well make this help come by easier by uploading a definition.

you did not upload anything in this post too, so users ended up doing irrelevant to topic solutions.

In this post, you seemed to enjoy the just plug and play.

In this one, you did not get any answers.

If you truly believed that enjoyment, comes from understanding the script you would have uploaded the full definition screenshot in the first place, instead of the full result and a partial nonsense script screenshot.

now that you uploaded the full screenshot you might as well include hard coded expressions, inputs, so that anyone interested can understand your script. this has been discussed in this topic too.

this is a good read.

Yo.  Screen shots of code like that are absolutely WORTHLESS!  Do you really expect people to try and recreate your code (hidden quirks and all) before even trying to help?  That's complete nonsense, brah.

Here's the definition...

Attachments:

Hi David
Thanks for sharing, it makes learning grasshopper a lot easier, you have captured
the relationship between an 8 sided and 4 sided polygon which is specific to this particular GH. I was hoping that the math would still apply for 16 sided and 8 sided polygon, but in retrospect, I realize they don't share the same common points.

One Observation:The 2 polygons do not quite share the same adjoining boundary points, when the Octagon & Square controls are greater than 0. I'm still trying to find what causes that small discrepancy in your script. (its only noticeable when one zoom in)

cheers!

Hi Kim I ve noticed that as well, i discovered that is the "point on curve" components at the bottom of the control group that are sending rounded values, I suggest you right clicka and set a mid, (1/2) or (1/4) point or plug in some 0.0 to 1.0 sliders with an evaluate curve component. 

I am working on a second script to allow further division of the polygons, will post soon.

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service