Here's a quick overview along with a link for download

http://python.rhino3d.com/entries/366-Python-component-for-Grasshopper

Thanks,

-Steve

Views: 2019

Replies to This Discussion

Hi,Giulio

Questions again...

I just use rs function to get a point(or a curve,anything else),but How can I transfer this to a grasshopper geometry so i can use a lot of method and properties of this geometry type.

Thanks!

Attachments:

Hi, like this (search in the current ghdoc document).

- Giulio

Attachments:

hi - Im just learning to use python and so far i've only used it through the editpythonscript comand in rhino but i want to mix grasshopper with it and the first thing i notice is that there is no debugging options... I see i can add the red buttons on the side of my code but how do i walk through the code step by step and test each line ... where is the start debugging , step into, step over and step out buttons? am i missing something? Thanks for your help! -Ethan

Hi Ethan,

there is no debugger right now (like in Grasshopper C# or Vb.Net) but if you want you can first make the code work in the _EditPythonScript editor with debugging, then copy it over to Grasshopper. The presence of that column is just a result of the shared editor, right now.

I know this is not ideal -- we hope we might get to adding the debugger at some point. There is no promise, though, because of the difference environment where this code is actually executing.

Thanks,

Giulio

--

Giulio Piacentino
for Robert McNeel & Associates
giulio@mcneel.com

Hi Giulio,

Some time has passed since this post and I am wondering if there has been any progress to include a debugger in the pythonscript component?  If not, is there a simple way to use an outside debugger?  I have been trying to use a combination of methods by Ángel Linares (here) and Steve Baer (here) but I am running into issues setting it up.

I teach computational design to architecture students and am very familiar with using rhinoscript, pythonscript and grasshopper.  My students are often intimidated by learning scripting so I would like to combine grasshopper and pythonscript. Unfortunately, I don't think it's realistic to expect the students to get very far in learning pythonscript if they are just learning it in grasshopper without a debugger. 

Also, writing the code in the Rhino built in pythonscript editor and then transferring it to the grasshopper python component doesn't work well for my purposes.  Because in order to simulate the script with the the pythonscript editor you need to build all of the inputs which, for my purposes, defeats the purpose of writing the code in grasshopper.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for a debugger.  Or, would you suggest learning another scripting method within grasshopper?  Or, is there another workflow that you would suggest.  I love using rhino and am very appreciative of all of the hard work that Robert McNeel & Associates and the Rhino community has done to make the program so flexible and accept a huge number of plugins and different methods for scripting.

Thank you,

Deborah

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service