Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi everyone!

I'm very happy to be a part of this community.

I am just starting to learn how to work with grasshopper, but I have ideas that I would love to see in production now.

Does anyone know where the best place is to find freelance rhino/grasshopper developers?

I have tried odesk.com and craigslist, but I think it makes sense to ask here, at the source.

Is anyone interested in doing a bit of freelance work here?

For this first project specifically, I am looking for someone who can make a gh script that will run a knitting pattern, seamlessly, around curved surfaces.

So i can set a pouch-like-surface, to be made of a homogenous "knit weave".

And then control some things about the weave, probably just pipe radius, amount of x and y "strands", and the closeness of each pipe to its neighbor.

The goal here is to be able to 3d print these in nylon, at shapeways, in 1 run.

Something like this:

http://www.giuliopiacentino.com/knitting-pattern/

But where I can have the pattern run evenly around different surfaces.

Basically I am trying to make "dice bag" like pouches. Basically a 3d printed fabric pouch.

But I would like be able to change the values and set different surfaces, so I can find the best shape.

Is anyone interested?

Or does anyone have a link for a place like odesk, or somewhere similar, that people with grasshopper skills frequent?

I would really appreciate any help with this, it would mean a lot to me.

Thank you so much,

Louie

Views: 2846

Replies to This Discussion

These guys posted a job vacancy in their Grasshopper3d blog. That was the 20th of February and they got 53 views and this post already has 140 views. So either nobody noticed it because it's in spanish, or because if you post it in your blog, people will only notice it while the post is also in the main page. 

So I agree, maybe we need a miscellaneous-topic board (for everything else) or a job-openings board. Since presumably there won't be much activity in it, maybe instead of a discussion page it could be a dedicated job openings (maybe also for collaborations) panel in the main page, similar to the "Photos" and "Members" panels. 

Wow!

David Rutten, Vicente Soler, and Jesus Galvez, I think it might be a good idea to create a job openings section. There really is nowhere to find grasshopper professionals easily online. As time goes on and more people learn about its power, I can only imagine an increased demand for those who have superior skills. What would be the down side?

Nick Tyrer: Unfortunately I am very beginner, still learning basics of rhino. I was not able to be formally trained or go to school, but I am trying, I have read primer and watched 2 videos, but it's still all a bit over my head. I just have to keep working with it until it clicks at this point.

But I just have this idea that I want to see in reality, and I just can't learn it fast enough.

So I wish I did- but i have no idea how you did that :) Very impressive. I tried messing with the definition, but the knit just "stretches" around my surface, and deforms, instead of staying tight like yours.

I just happened to find Guilio's example in a google search, and just used it as an example. I would love to pay him since he seems pretty awesome, but unfortunately I need a bit of hand holding - would need the developer to show me the script, and so the first thing I thought of was to post here. Do you think I should ask him? I did'nt even think of that...

Anyway, thanks for replying to this off-beat post, I really do appreciate it, this community seems so supportive, it's really refreshing.

Hi Louie,

It's not exactly what you are looking for, but may help. There is sort of textbook on weaving patterns.

You can contact Giulio in here.

Btw I agree with Jesus.

The problem is that this is a discussion forum. Questions and Answers never go out of style. Job Offers and people available for jobs continually change. Something like StackOveflow Careers might work as it was specifically designed for this sort of information exchange.

I'll bring up this topic at todays McNeel developer meeting, see what the folks in Seattle (and Finland) think about us providing a service like this.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

Ah, just this:

Graphisoft (authors of ArchiCAD) is doing something similar - they are allowing Archicad job offers to be posted on their portal:

http://www.graphisoft.com/community/job_board/positions_available

Free of charge, because it definitively contributes to development of the community and their application as a whole.
I think that's the part we need to look at first, too.

djordje: thanks! wow! I 'm reading and already I am starting to understand knits better. I can't believe this exists!

I want to point out, that even though I asked to hire someone on this board, I have already learned so much personally, and have been pointed in multiple interesting directions.

What more could you ask for?

As far as a job board? - I think you should do it. Because there is no down side, and much upside. It will separate posts like this from general discussions, and it will create a whole new universe, where talented people can get paid for what they are interested in...

I know it's not that simple, but you would have created the first, real, go-to place, for contractors looking to hire grasshopper/rhino freelancers.

I will support it.

I already have a friend who is interested in generating art installations in grasshopper, interacting with a kinect, and surely he needs some help.

I think if you made a job board, it would only help move grasshopper forward, because then others would be able to realize their dreams, with the help of professionals. It opens more doors.

Anyway, that's my two cents... you guys are free to do what you want

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service