Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

i have been a Generative Components user for a long time and only an occasional grasshopper user. but i have been using it more and though i would start to port my C# libraries over. the first one is a minimal surface generator. i will release it as soon as i get 2 bugs worked out. 
here are some screen shots. the calculations are fast enough for real time feedback which is good. 

the plugin takes 4 boundary curves and stretches a minimal surface between them (think of the 4 curves as wires you dip in soap like frei otto) 

after i finish this i may port over a plugin that can read maya nParticles in real time and display them as point clouds with all the extra data (acceleration, speed, size, color...)

Views: 11276

Replies to This Discussion

I am currently in a studio class which is working with minimal surfaces, and I am looking forward to a plugin which will make more variations. I have been trying to do this for so long, I cant wait for the release!
thanks for sharing! it really helps a lot! looking forward your coming components!

Also possibly of interest, I've been playing around with exposing my plug-in code to Grasshopper for determining minimal surfaces. Mine works on meshes, and assumes at present that any free edges (edge with a single face) are restrained. I just uploaded files to my blog (http://geometrygym.blogspot.com ) for Costa Minimal Surface, and will add a few
other examples. Options for restraining nodes, or nodes to curves can be added reasonably quickly if it's of interest.
Cheers,

Jon
do you have to pay for the main plug-in for this to run?
Hi Robert,

I'm offering a free trial to everyone to test and try the tools. After that, if you're using the plug-in for commercial purposes, then I've been charging for the use of the tools as a service license. If you're a student/academic, then with some proof I'm hoping to retain the tools as a free service.

Cheers,

Jon

Hi Jon

Does this plug-in work to be able to create a Schoen P Surface too?

Well, it can create a mesh representation of it.  See if this helps.

Attachments:
all i have updated the minimal surface plugin. there are now 2 options. 1 is the original 4 curves and the new one is 2 curves. you can use either 2 open or 2 closed curves. for example if you use two circles you get a catinoid

hi robert
thanks for your efforts.. it is really great to get minimal surface inside GH
i tested your plugin and i get wrong results (i run the same solution on rhino membrane - left one)
so u0 u1 are describing semicircles

Interesting test case. Do you mind posting a RhinoMembrane result so I can try testing my result? Else here's 1 result, grasshopper definition available from the Costa Minimal Surface post on http://geometrygym.blogspot.com
Attachments:
hi Jon and Robert
thanks for your fast replies
attached the membrane solution
Attachments:
Thanks for that, looks like I also have some testing and improving to do, I've got the right shape but not as small an area mesh. I'll post back when I get a closer answer.

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service