Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hello I am trying to bend a grid of curves into shape as a representation of the process by which gridshells are constructed on site. A flat grid raised into position - each lathe/curve maintains its length but bends into position as the plan shape changes through self weight.

I have made my basic definition and have some spring forces working on the curves but am looking for a way to make the curves bend upwards in the z axis, and maintaining the length of the curve.

Is this possible with kangaroo? I dont quite understand the way in which the bend component in kangaroo works so if you can help or suggest where i am going wrong i that'd be great! 

thanks

Chris 

Views: 17807

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Agnieszka,

I changed the definition to apply it to your pattern.

I am not sure if you want the whole surface and pattern to bend or just each individual module, as they open/close. 

I also attached the gridshell model in case you want to have at look at how it works. I hope it helps.

Chris

Attachments:

Hi Chris 

Thank you for your reply and grid shell def.

Sadly the one you adjusted for me is not working how I need it.

I think I did't describe it correctly

I'm attaching pictures of my physical model for better desctiption

The idea is that the pattern (a flexible framework for inflated cushions) opens (from straight grid lines to arches) and the whole structure surface bends upwards (exactly like in your grid shell video) creating a shelter space

at the moment when I start the def you made for me only some arches inflect but the whole surface stays at the same level..(I attached an image of that as well as maybe it's just my computer playing it funny?)

Thank you for your help!

Attachments:

just to add to the last post

I realized one arch was not connected that's why all of them were not bending.

But they are still only inflecting at one level instead of whole surface.

Attachments:

Hello again 

continuing in the same vein i am really interested in learning the potential for the bend component to deform a grid. Although the flip matrix providing the lateral curves provides a very interesting possibility, i am trying to bend a grid where by curves are bent in two directions for example similar to the downland gridshell - i am wondering if due to the actual construction of the downland gridshell having plate joints cross directional movement of the lathes as they are raised into position is this going to be possible within the potential of kangaroo and grasshopper.

Is there a way to bend curves that overlap? 

It seems that in doing so the curves interfere with each other and cannot allow the simulation to process the bending properly - it results in some very messy curves.

Hi Arthur i will see what sort of ply I can get laser cut but i dont have any experience of laser cutting- i will be attempting this in the week! Hopefully some very thin and bendable ply should allow me to recreate the experiment physically... 

Here is an example of the kind of grid that i would like to deform... Thanks for all your help!

RSS

About

Translate

Search

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service