Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

hello!! I am trying to make a hexagonal tessellation on a trimmed 3D surface, but here is the problem. All hexagons must have the same size. (or almost the same(?))

I tried using Lunchbox, but it doesn't seem to work.

I am using attractors later on to define the radius of circles inside the hexagons, as you can see in the definition, so it would be good to control the size of the hexagons.

Views: 10233

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I like the Idea! but..

• it is the open area of the TEI so it is mainly used during the day (doesn't have many people during the night)
  • the title of the essay is "canopy with mobile (moving ?) elements parametrically controled" (in greek the title makes sense :P )

what I am trying to say is that these rings should be part of the canopy because the title can't be changed. Also we want to look into the interaction of the "canopy" when some people want to get wet from the rain and some not, some want sun and some not.

Title says that but in fact it means:

Canopy with mobile elements that are part of the canopy (as a whole)  but they are sited opposite to the canopy (as items).

Title further explains: we are also working on some kind of applied anti gravity (C)(tm)(US Patent pending) thingy that could unify the top with the bottom creating ... er ... a kind of event horizon for the things to come blah, blah.

BTW: we are not in MIT man ... we are in Greece were ... well ... you know what I mean don't you? The whole country is in jail (for ever) and nobody has notice it and we are talking about a @@$#% title?

Wonder if I should fire up the Microstation Nexus engine and make a proper VR thingy on that one (shown a draft for the floor option)

well the canopy with the trush and the rings as part of the surface-canopy I think is the answer and fits the title :/

btw on the floor we can do whatever we want.that is a bonus and that could be our techfreaky touch ;)

Excellent decision:

Things to do:

• Try to do the truss (if you fail > call The Dark Side).
  • Buzon partners > Dapelixi (ask Babis Moutsanas on my behalf, a good friend) > talk about the transparent Buzon system. I fact I introduced Babis to Laurent Buzon.
  • http://www.buzon-world.com/en_US/Partners.html
  • Visit Dapelixi to see things that you can't imagine.
  • Don't forget to specify the optional slope corrector item.
  • http://www.buzon-world.com/en_US/produits.html
  • Call Laurent if additional - custom - raised floor items are required. He can do anything imaginable.
  • Some good friends in US can do your blades via a revolutionary 3d printing technique that yields stuff with load bearing capability (even transparent ones or ... er ... pink ones). Same applies to the whole mechanism.
  • A newly established Dutch company claims the same (but the US firm is 1M miles ahead).

good morning! I was up all night yesterday and I almost made the truss (only thing I need to do now is to make it solid)  :D

load bearing blades?? awesome! but it might not work properly (on experiments, I did before I got the patent :P, had some issues when I was using stiff materials)

with all this info we are not talking about a common floor anymore!!!

on my way to get  the job done> get the money> get the girl> go to Monaco

Restart from Node 0

• Forgot to mention that my friends do flexible LBS stuff. Other animals from other planet, he he.
  • Get this file that has a static truss (baked axis) , a static demo surface and ...
  • ... er ... AGAIN these @$@% fins [also baked in U and V] - wonder why I insist on them?
  • Why ? well ... man ... here's Greece > we can promise auto rotating fins (WOW *2 = rings on the floor + fins on the sky) and never make them > the Greek way, that is. But we can take the money (+ VAT) for making them > the Greek way.
  • If we make them (crisis of honesty: bad thing) there's people in Greece who can do it - barely believable but trust the Lord - by extruding poly carbonate (kinda like making custom alu extrusions) at a fraction of the planar glazing thingy cost. Panos T (excellent windsurfer, mind) can rotate them rather easily. Lord can do other "minor" things as well and supervise the construction with his known way (Merciless Perfectionism).
  • What if rains? Well ... Greeks do the ouzo option in this occasion (thus why bother?)

Added the happy bunny thingy on the demo surface to encourage you towards the girl + Monaco stuff.

Attachments:

Tasks for the brave:

• The static truss as delivered is thick "in the center" and "thin" around the "lips" > the "spine" thingy mentioned earlier. Why? In order to mount it "along" the spine, that is. Now ... I want from you to do the proper combo of columns for the job: I want a dynamic solution worth the name not some stupid columns going vertically. Use the tree regions in order to avoid distorting the glass modular floor. Say like this:

• The truss must engulf the trees. Killing a tree is a crime (even touching it should be a crime). How to do it? Same for the rotating fins. Assembling the truss must take provision of the branches (if they are fragile).
  • Plaza must being divided as follows: a perimeter ring (critical) separates the glass floor panels from the ugly buildings AND the tree regions. Fine grey pebbles are OK for that. Then the panels deploy in the remaining region. Panels must be all the same: 90*90cm. Solve this "arrangement" with GH. Measure the drainage slopes and calculate the Buzon pedestals with GH (how far we need to adjust them: critical for ordering).
  • Cover the existing pavement with a 5cm thick layer of black pebbles (bonus: hide the cables for the led arrays and the rings [no WiFi required]). Create variations of these arrays in GH.
  • Create something for servicing the whole thing.
  • Greenhouse effect can raise the temperature below the glass flooring (BTW: panels are at 1-2 cm distance [Buson spacers] each other [rain + escaping gases]).

And a very primitive walk around (animated 3d PDF: get the latest Reader). You can stop the animation any time, use the Model Tree, use the Section tool etc etc.

Attachments:

WOW!

but first things first:

• tried to make my truss solid and found a bug (3 lines are missing) so now I am trying to code my way out :P
  • those fins again hahaha! I had in mind using fins as a plan B. I will mak a model with fins and a model with circles and then choose
    btw I have the circles ready. only thing missing is the surface so this model will finish in 5 sec
  • that floor though! It should be in the title!

*update*

bugs are fixed, without the use of code (I tried though)  and we have a solid(?) truss!!

(this isn't the final surface :P )

All about trusses:

• Struts et all is one thing (5%).
  • Connectivity data (nodes to edges + edges to nodes) is the 45%. Imagine a List of nodes (LON). Then create a Tree where branches are the LON indices. Then fill the Lists of the tree with indices that belong to LON meaning that for a given branch (i.e. a node) you know the nodes that are connected with the node in question. Sandbox add-on does this kind of stuff (obviously I have code that does this as well "internally").
  • Clash detection is the 50%. Clash relates to the visible members (struts, sleeves, cones) AND to the connecting bolt (case MERO KK type of stuff).
  • If planarity is required use the YA(Z) K2 demo provided as follows: first make a planar collection of trapezes and THEN do the rest.

BTW: If the floor option is too expensive (it is) try the following: put the rings in triangulated (i.e. planar) panels using SOLELY the "column combos" (see 3dPDF) > that way the rings are very close to people ... and they don't mimic an umbrella (which is wrong assumption for more than obvious reasons). 

BTW: there's a Coy's auction in Monaco this month related with vintage Ferraris (prices start "around" the 500K mark). Rumor is that there's a 250 LM (~5M) around. Shall we?

BTW: If trees are big and interfere with the truss call METRICA (ask Ericos Skassis on my behalf) > shoot the trees > import the meshes to Rhino > design the truss by respecting the trees (but clash detection based on solid ops instead of trigonometry is VERY slow).

http://www.metrica-isv.gr/services/3dengeneralmenu

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service