Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

hello!! I am trying to make a hexagonal tessellation on a trimmed 3D surface, but here is the problem. All hexagons must have the same size. (or almost the same(?))

I tried using Lunchbox, but it doesn't seem to work.

I am using attractors later on to define the radius of circles inside the hexagons, as you can see in the definition, so it would be good to control the size of the hexagons.

Views: 10229

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I was ok with the meeting until I read "wife was so happy BEFORE the signing" :P

if we have glass 3x3 it is enough, but what are we talking about? we have money! we 'll buy the plexiglass factory and start producing whatever size we want!! :P

btw I 've heard about smart glass before and that would change everything but it wouldn't allow water where I want it to be

cleaning? weeeell.. we are engineers we don't care about cleaning! :P or yeah flying dwarfs would be nice!

why covering something beautifull?? :D  although the plexiglass, fom our factory that we talked about before, would be perfect for that!

Path to glory in just 3 steps:

1. Use a double tetra T truss (forget wild surfaces and the likes [forget even trimming if you ask me: Less is more as the greatest ever said]: a mild mustard can cut .. er ... the mustard quite effectively). Paint the tubes pink (kitsch is the new chic these days). Omit some T modules for the trees (or kill the trees: are we real engineers or some good Samaritans?)

2. Attach the freaky rings of yours "within" the "bottom" triangles (note: this is a T truss by the book: only CABLES around): i.e. pull the rings via 3 cables per ring towards the ends of the rigid [diagonal] members. Or do the "grouping" thing that we've disguised (NOT recommended by The Lord Himself: too much stuff for no reason).

3. Optionally cover the "top" triangles with some Palram [massif: 6/8mm] stuff using their excellent frames (Israel does the best poly carbonate stuff by a million miles). All that for the rain thingy, that is (or distribute free pink umbrellas to anyone visiting the plaza).

Job done > Get the money, get the girl > go to Monaco > roll the bones .

Plan Z: I re-start from a node 0 > depth of answers is rather limited in this Noble Forum:

Using the Dark Side (BTW: the more you hesitate to sign ... well ... time flies [and what I'm asking anyway? just a little thingy]) and mostly internal (*) stuff on:

• Your plaza.
  • Me (as material) + Me (as The Lord)
  • NO Tensegrity trusses.
  • A random surface that IS NOT trimmed (why bother? this is not the forest).
  • Either random points > internal Ball Pivot algo > ... > and then a truss out of them
  • Either classic U/V divisions and then a truss that has random (or not) W depth.
  • Either abstract representation or a classic MERO KK system.
  • Either shading fins or not.
  • 1.56 top quality cigar(s) and 3.45 double espressos

(*) but AFTER signing ... well ... I could deviate a bit from the rule, he he.

BTW: Kings of poly carbonate stuff :  http://www.palram.com/Architecture

Moral: is the forest that matters, the tree is insignificant.

ok then I will sign!! :)

but no fins because we have  the glass under the truss with the mechanism and fins won't be actually usefull!

(btw check your mails to see the mechanism I 've sent you if you haven't checked)

You took the right decision (BTW: by sign I mean your thumb + your blood). Occasionally you'll be called to participate in some army of shadows of mine (always for Noble scopes).

Things to do:

• get the Palram GA-2004 cad drawings/brochures and study in depth that genius system.
  • decide if the system is facing up (on the top truss members: practical) of down (way cooler since it gives you the appearance of a planar glazing system).
  • decide the color of the poly carbonate (I would suggest pink).

No mail arrived (yet) > wrong address?.

BTW: I had a spiritual contact with the Greatest Ever (Mies VDR).

Said the Master: What are you doing here?

Said the Lord: Well ... I'm helping a compatriot (in exchange of some insignificant stuff)

Said the Master: Less is more, don't you think so?

So:

• Forget trimming and all that stupid stuff > just make a surface.
  • Create a U/V truss with the LESS possible divisions "along" the short surface "sides"
  • Create a SIN distortion on that yielding a truss that is "thicker" (W) in the "center" and thinner around "the lips". This gives us the airy appearance required AND creates a central "spine" for mounting the truss "internally" using 3-4 columns on some nodes along the "spine" pics. This yields a truss that appears floating in thin air (Mies proposed that, Me I'm totally untalented as an Architect).
  • Use a hybrid system: on top use Palram GA-2004 aluminum "frames" for the poly carbonate stuff that are further subdivided "in sheet dimensions" and connect the GA with the W/bottom grid struts. Bending "in situ" the sheets is not an issue so forget planarity and the likes. Exactly what Jansen does in the hybrid Viss series (notorious Swiss maker, the equivalent of Rolex in alu systems).
  • On some "sheets" make holes and put the @$%@ rings of yours: the deviation from planarity is insignificant ... therefor the sheets could "engulf" the rings with no problems. So we are back to small diameter rings as you prefer.
  • Get the money + the girl > Monaco > roll the bones blah, blah.

does this require coding because it seems possible without it (?)

system will be facing down because it is cooler and we are cool guys :P

pink always pink! hahaha

ps check the spam folder for the mail

Maybe is doable without coding but:

• creating a hybrid real-life  truss using GA + MERO is not the simplest thing imaginable especially IF some adjusters are required for achieving planarity on the top faces (not required 100% ... but makes the GA assembly much much simpler without leaks etc etc).
  • auto unrolling the brepFaces for hydro [NOT laser] cutting and .. hmm ... in order to optimize the GA-2004 subdivisions ... well ... hope always dies last > give it a spin > if you fail > the Dark Side would be always around.

BTW: still nothing arrived > check your mail (in case for some misspelling with regard mine)

And with this, this and that ... finally we arrive to the holly grail of contemporary AEC thingies (but Mies said to Me that all that are nonsense):

WHAT is planarity?

Is it a good thing? Exists? Do we need it? Is it a chimera? Can Daniel cut the mustard? Up to what point?

BTW: Why I can't marry Caroline of Monaco?

NOTE: Switched to Kangaroo2 for these demo cases.

Attachments:

BTW: Stuff arrived > Well ... man ... what can I say? > bravo > but ... it's Fate > I did exactly that a million years ago when I was trying to convince Bentley Systems to ... er ... fire "some" animation gurus (and hire some others).

Moral: Fate.

BTW: Change of plans: Hot stuff > but > ring is too "thick" > forget roofing et all > idea is good but the placement policy is wrong/kitsch (i.e. NOT approved by the Lord [Himself] - a rather critical factor with all due modesty).

What to do:

• Create the truss + Israeli made rain stuff (or not) ... blah blah. In this occasion (read below) we can do even a T-truss (ultra WOW).
  • Create a STRAIGHT "array" of these things ON THE GROUND (kinda a "wall"). Freaky things are NOT serving as shading devices any more (the forest my friend, always the forest, forget the tree). Straight topology is a MUST since we already have a "curvy" topology on top of our heads (Lesson of the day: never date 2 girls at the same time).
  • Do the robotics (BTW: do you know Panos Trachanias? chief in Robotics in Creta: gifted + good friend of mine) with the rings allowing people to CLOSELY watch the techno freak stuff of yours.
  • Do you know what IME is in Athens? (Google that).
  • Get the money + the girl > Monaco > blah blah 

Attachments:

well that means I 'm a million years behind? :P
we should arrange a meeting!

• T-truss? wow? I am in!
  • the thickness doesn't seem to big (at 40cm diameter we have a 6cm ring)
  • why aren't they serving as shading devices anymore?
  • I don't know him (remember I am a newbie in robotics) :/ but I think I have an idea on how it could work (waiting to get patented :P )
  • yes I know IME
  • Thickness is proportionally big enough to ruin the aesthetics.
  • Show must be open only at nights. Cure classic stuff on the stereo. Holograms not recommended. Seats et all not recommended. Only the Void. 
  • Rings (wall) are CLOSER to people (allowing an immediate contact)  and not hanging 6+ m above trying to mimic a shading device (that never would work). Rings are a techno freak thingy not an umbrella (not to mention the smart glass factor > that way rings could easily escape humiliation in the years to come). Nothing is more laughable than an outdated technology. 
  • Rings (floor) can be placed horizontally BELOW a proper flooring (nothing on sight ... on first sight = plaza clean as a surgery room): Laurent Buzon poly carbonate adjusters (best in market) supporting (no frame) glass (15mm). Led Lights only below the glass (magic) pointing up. All the rest in eternal darkness (mystic). A carbon T-truss could be ideal here (tour de force).
  • When rings open (by sensing the presence of someone) they expose some message or a monitor with proper future stuff (or some stuff or even the Lord [Himself]).
  • All the scenery must be abstract, ominous, mysterious and sad (exactly as the future is expected to be).  
  • Rings BELOW the floor could give the wrong impression that future is "manageable". This is what we actually want (control).

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service