Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

hello!! I am trying to make a hexagonal tessellation on a trimmed 3D surface, but here is the problem. All hexagons must have the same size. (or almost the same(?))

I tried using Lunchbox, but it doesn't seem to work.

I am using attractors later on to define the radius of circles inside the hexagons, as you can see in the definition, so it would be good to control the size of the hexagons.

Views: 10228

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Hmm ... 3 times out of 3 (attempting to open your GH def - solver enabled) this happened:

Moral: Karma, what else?

Solution: I must fix this @^%$@ def of yours, what else?

that is weird :/ I will reupload it in case something has happened to it, but it needs the rhino file to make sense.

btw. I am using grasshopper 0.9.0076

Attachments:

Yikes + yikes + yikes:

1. Loft is out of question (see Patch).

2. This case BEGS for a tensile membrane (lot's of definitions available from very naive to ultra complex)... instead you are digging further and further into a rabbit hole that has many entries AND NO exit (metaphorically and/or literally).

SPAM ON:

If you don't like membranes ... the next best option is to use some Ball Pivot Algo (NOT delauney) > triangulate the @%$@ points > create an airy truss (with W depth) > put some shading panels (or fins or something) in all modules (or some) > job done > WOW and sensible.

SPAM OFF.

3. What the greatest Ever (Mies VDR) could comment in this occasion?

4. Dark gray stuff included is a start for very big things that would happen if ... well ... who can tell? I hear you: but you intend to use code for these big things and I have no idea about all that freaky stuff (not to mention that I'm a novice) > are you a freak and/or a freak or maybe a freak? (Moral: life sucks).

5. As I said many times we must speak for long for that one. Wonder what I had in mind when I've proposed that ... well ... many replies before, he he.

Solution: phone/skype/do something

Attachments:

BEFORE we talk play a bit with that one: Patch with holes IS VERY tricky > the only safe way to do it [getting accurate information in case of failure - more than critical] is via code, but there's many other reasons as well related with ... er ...

• interactively (on the fly) modifying the curves,
  • the next steps towards the ugly part (real-life, he he).

Attachments:

yes a tensile membrane would be perfect for that canopy BUT it has to be a surface :P why is he so obsesed with surfaces you may ask (I would ask this too)

It's because it has to withstand some weight (not much, some mechanisms), so we need a structure capable of doing so

plus it has to have some holes (see circles I was talking about earlier :D ) which will be filled with this mechanism> therefore we need a structure (triangular/ hexagonal/ pentagonal/ etc.) with the same size everywhere

Anyway after out discussion ... there's hope around, he he.

In the mean time (ultra paranoid T truss forthcoming option etc) get this very simple K1 membrane demo that is quite useful: 

Get a polyline and make a membrane in nanoseconds. That said a different approach is required if holes (cones, that is) are in the pipe line ... but your plaza is not that big and we could skip the cone part (a myriad of simple<>ultra complex cases available ... blah, blah).

The only real-life rule is the well known one: one point is heading North the next South: the so called multi-saddle thingy in our trade.

Added a small C# that indicates the anchoring concept as we've discussed: cables pull north, membrane south > column takes the compression part > bingo.Expect forces ~5-8 K.

The same approach will be used in the next cases - the T truss related ones (X-Truss, Cubic, Double Tetra). Here's some paranoid T trusses (be prepared, buy some Vodka, make a good life insurance, trust Darkness, trust Karma):

BTW: a multi cone membrane it could be rather kitsch (your plaza is too small: these things require space to shine AND some Z as well).

Attachments:

ok with this demo I will start understandng the consept of membranes (or I hope so :P ) but I will try to understand the code behind it, remember one day I will be coding too, Lord! :D

btw. I forgot to mention I will need 1 to 4 holes (cones as you said), depending on the size and form of the canopy, because.. trees.. :/

BTW: Plan Z (The ultimate attack to sensibility):

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.grasshopper3d.com/forum/top...

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.grasshopper3d.com/xn/detail...

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.grasshopper3d.com/forum/top...

BTW: Testing T-trusses in your plaza (one million miles away from kitsch hexagons and rabbit holes - notice the obvious: is the forest that counts and not the tree; who gives a @$@ if the surface is "wavy" or ultra wild or ultra "adventurous"?, who could distinguish ANY difference between this surface used or another one? who can tell me how to marry Caroline of Monaco? [or some equivalent]):

BTW: You ain't see nothing (yet) > long is the path and hilly.

Ok.. I am joining the dark side! :O

a technical question now.. Is it possible to make a wavy surface (I know you are thinking "not surfaces again" :P ) made by plexiglass (that is/appears to be continuous) under the truss and attached to it?

I am asking this because I could not make any hole in the truss, but I can make holes on the surface for the trees (+ smaller holes for the mechanism instead of putting 2-3 circles in a triangle)

or would that look kitsch?

Joining the Dark Side means that you MUST sign this attached (don't get stuck to the details > just sign). PS: I need some official stamp from some respectable(?) Greek authority for the signing validation. 

On trivial matters: (Zaha are you listening?)

1. In general you can bend in 2 directions tinted glass (a bit salty procedure, mind) using custom "molds" per panel. Then you should use some planar glazing frameless system (bargain at 3K/m2). I have about a zillion 1:1 details for similar stuff. The end result is stunning BUT very-very expensive (but boy: is stunning).

2. Some fella did an unspeakable thingy (in fluo blue) in Vienna using heat formed 6mm lexan [Microloan by Bayer]. But the building is hideous.

3. IF the planar glazing is adjustable (more cash) then you can bend "in situ" thin lexan (3-4 mm) hoping that no Architect with some good taste can spot the whole combo.

BUT the thing is that lexan has limited dimensions (it's made in "long sheets"... this leads us to a dense T-Truss > ... > back to the rabbit hole.

Attachments:

How can I find a respectable Greek authority?? :P

doesn't long sheets mean a less dense truss?

As I said we don't care about the money and I think it would be awesome like that!

How can I find a respectable Greek authority??

Er ... indeed this IS an issue. Appears that we must arrange a meeting: here's Me VS a happy couple signing the @#%$@ paper (wife was so happy BEFORE the signing):

On trivial matters:

1. "Long" sheets means a big value "along" x (say 6 - 9 meters) BUT short "along" y (say 60-90 cm). This means that the min size dictates our panel policy UNLESS we use a self supporting triangular frame that is further triangulated and hosts the Lexan stuff (and your freaky rings of fire).  But this negates the planar glazing ultra clean aesthetics and we are back into the misery of that rabbit hole. I hardly can see any Nobel (or EMMY or Oscar or Pulitzer or something equivalent anyway) around. On the other hand tinted glass can being made in sizes up to 3*3 m (or a bit more).

NOTE: Of course using smart glass (Google that) could negate your rings ... but don't tell that to the client.

2. Other than that ... er... cleaning the whole thingy ... well ... I have a solution for that: a bunch of flying dwarfs (or Smurfs) trained by the Lord (Himself) that can do the job (at a price).

3. Other than that the sensible thing to do is to cover (IF the cover is in the agenda) the T truss using the outside "side". But truth is that cleaning could be an issue. US Firm Birdair (King of membranes, master of all tensile things) addresses this using Teflon on certain fabrics ... meaning that rain can wash the membrane quite effectively.

BTW: Projects that have no budget floor makes me feel very happy - this is the proper way to blow millions (for no reason) he , he.

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service