Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

I've been writing some custom components for Grasshopper for several days.

Something is bugging me.

And I start to comparing GH to some other Node Based softwares.

Sometimes, a component in GH contains a lot of inputs, which is like the meshing setting component below.

1.Users may rarely link some outputs of other components to the inputs of the "Min", "Max",or "Refine".....so the component is kind of taking too much space of the canvas. Some inputs don't have to be inputs, maybe they can be some attributes of the component.

2.And if users want to change the parameter of one of the inputs, they can right click on it, then type something or maye click some more buttons, and "commit change". Once you click "commit change",the menu's gone. This only changes one parameter for one time. More param to change ,more "loops".

If they want to save some clicks, take the "Max" param for example,they can drop a slider and connect it to "Max",or can right-click on "max" then click "extract param". It is easier for user to change param through a slider, but the slider will take room of the canvas, it's contradictory.

Houdini and Maya have attribute windows of their Nodes, which is really handy and simplifies the canvas. Changing param is so convenient inside the attr window, as the param are all inside, and "middle click slider"as well.

3.Houdini and Maya offer parent-children relationships of Nodes.

4.Users are able to group Nodes together in Houdini and GH. And Houdini offers a double-click action for users to collapse the group,or to expand it.

gotta go

I'll keep posting.

Let's let the little Grasshopper grow, guys

Views: 4340

Replies to This Discussion

blender's nodes are collapsible and scalable. If inputs or outputs are not being used they can be hidden away. the default however is to show everything then the user can "clean" up what is not needed at any given time.

RSS

About

Translate

Search

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service