Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hello everybody,

I figured I'd let you know about the latest developments regarding Grasshopper (and other .NET plugins) for Rhino Mac.

Last week some of us from McNeel spoke with Miguel de Icaza (head of development of the Mono project) about running plugins that use Windows.Forms on Mono-Mac. The news is basically not good. Though it isn't terribly bad either.

The WinForms part of Mono is build upon the old Mac Carbon scheme. Rhino for Mac is build upon the new Mac Cocoa scheme. These two don't play well together. This means we cannot run Grasshopper without modifications on the Mac.

Miguel advised us to write a wrapper dll for UI elements that is hooked up to WinForms on windows and Cocoa on Mac, and this will allow Plugin developers to write plugins with a GUI that will run on both Operating systems. Development of these libraries will take months even with an experienced developer. And then I need to rewrite all the UI in Grasshopper. As you can probably imagine, this is not exactly trivial.

--
David Rutten
david@mcneel.com
Seattle, WA

Views: 16168

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks a lot David, that's too bad but I am sure there are ways and you let us know how we can help and we'l dot it.
Sorry for not following all the technical stuff here. Buy my question is: any hope to see Grasshopper on the iPad? I'd love using it in three situations:
- To make/edit definitions, even on simple canned primitives such as surface, cube, sphere, etc. Mostly for learning/exploration.
- to use as remote control of a open rhino+grasshopper session on my machine. I delay i can pass the iPad around and let stakeholders experiment with their own variations.
- to use the multitouch screen of the iPad as an input device (think attractor gestures)
Oh yes!!!!!

Please can you email me the beta of Grasshopper for iPad. My address is ghotio@oneoftheherd.org

--------------------
you wait and see this is going to be the start of something quite stunning :)
sorry David
There is no Grasshopper for iPad. There is no Grasshopper for Mac OS. There is no Rhino for iPad.

When Grasshopper becomes available on any new platforms, notices will be posted here and in our newsletters/blogs. It will be a public, open beta release available to everyone.

--
David Rutten
david@mcneel.com
Seattle, WA

When can I expect the grasshopper beta for my casio calculator wristwatch?

Casio wristwatch beta release is scheduled for September 31st this year.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Turku, Finland

http://www.irhino3d.com

3dm viewer for ipad XD

RE: iPad and Rhino -

To be fair, the two second points are more or less already possible, using midi or osc inputs.

You can use the iPad as input device via apps : http://hexler.net/software/touchosc

And then interface with GHowl or Firefly. I have been meaning to make a post about my method, which so far involves standard midi and android devices... (and incidentally no Processing or scripting required ..). Keep an eye out int he GHowl section, I will post my own method there.

Cheers!

All the best for your the development.

Having Rhino OS X and my loved Grasshopper on my mac would be fantastic. Hate to use two operating systems.

Hi Guys!

Any news of grasshopper for Mac ?!

hi guys

anynews of grasshopper for mac yet?

Hi David,

Is there Grasshopper for Mac?

If so please send me the link to download.

Thanks a ton in advance

RSS

About

Translate

Search

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service