Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Dear testers,

a minor update to Grasshopper is available for download.

● Galapagos can now start a solution from the initial slider layout.
  ● Galapagos can now start a solution from a selected genome.
  ● Added a Mutate override button to the Galapagos solver process.
  ● Added Save, Load and Defaults to the Galapagos settings UI.
  ● Added Curve Extremes component.
  ● Added [Set All Sliders] item to Galapagos Gene input menu.
  ● Added [Set Selected Sliders] item to Galapagos Gene input menu.
  ● Added auto-mutators which are triggered by low bio-diversity.
  ● Added feedback enable/disable button to the Galapagos window to speed up the process.
  ● Added direct colour casts to the Shader type.
  ● Added a Surface Split component.
  ○ Fixed missing undo event for grouping.
  ○ Fixed missing undo event with the slider popup editor.
  ○ Fixed String to Interval conversion not dealing with all formats.
  ○ Fixed chain inversion bug with Catenary component.
  ○ Changed Galapagos controls background and foreground colour defaults.

Enjoy,
David

--
David Rutten
david@mcneel.com
Poprad, Slovakia

Views: 1293

Replies to This Discussion

hi David,
I was thinking about the bake'n'reference idea - so that's covering those times when you want to edit some stuff and get back at it quickly, dumping your first part of the definition. I've found another application for it:
Ever happened to anyone, to have a ginormous file with a lot of crap in it, on a thousand layers, and to reference some stuff in GH, then froget which one's which and where they come from? That being said, doing a "bake-ref" on all your initial inputs can help you find the GH-refs in a file easy as pie. Also, a menu option "select referenced components" would rule. You click it, and see all the stuff that's support-file dependent.
And here comes the twist: what do you think about the idea of inverse-baking? Like if you have a definition that needs the stuff in the support file, but you'd really want them to be embedded into the definition - i'm not talking breps or complex stuff, although that would be pretty cool, i'm talking just simple things like point coordinates. In short, you have a point, you're tired of moving it around rhino, you want to freeze/embed it in GH. So you right click the component that references it, and this "freeze/embed" locks it until you tell it otherwise, and saves it along with the definition, so you don't need to write down coordinates and put them in panels or something like that. Also a "lock component" option would rule. Like if you don't want people messing around with some more radical sliders in a definition that you hand out. What do you think?
And is there any possibility that you pubblish some example to explain to recent development of Galapagos?
Thanks

Paolo
Hi David,

I think there is a bug in the Vector XYZ component. It does not recognise a negative value as input stream but it will convert to negative if used in an expression "-Z"

Keep up the good work
Danny
Hi Danny,

sorry, cannot replicate this. Using a number parameters, text panels and sliders all seem to generate vectors with negative components. Screenshot? File?

--
David Rutten
david@mcneel.com
Poprad, Slovakia
My fault, false alarm. I was being stupid, correction, momentary lapse of common sense. I was plugging existing vectors into the inputs and wondering why I wasn't getting the results I wanted.
Hi David,

thanks for great work u do!

It seems like there is some compatibility problem between 0.7.0055 and Rhinocheros 5 latest built (29th of September). After installing it few of the components from my Grasshopper file disappeared :( Other components are in their places, but RecGrid, Rectangel, and ScaleNU are lost. When I add them again and save the file, after reopening it, the components have dissapeared aggain. And it seems to be impossible to coppy paste them inside the same file. Well...it turned out to work when i open the same file in Rhino4 and rebuild the deffinition with missing components.

I attached the file, even though i am not sure there is any help from it for u,cause it seems to have the trouble only with Rhino5. And yes...Rhino is crashing as well when i am trying to do something in this corrupted file in Rhino5.

thanks
e.
Attachments:
Hi edgars,

There was an SDK break in the latest Rhino5 causing C# code that used Planes to choke and die. We're working on a new release of Grasshopper that will fix this, but note that this release will not work on older versions of Rhino5.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

--
David Rutten
david@mcneel.com
Poprad, Slovakia
Thanks David. I developed an example that I've used to demonstrate solvers (Excel, modeFrontier) to students. It's a simple volume:surface area optimization. Set it to maximize and it should produce a sphere. Set it to minimize and it should produce a saddle. Unfortunately, Galapagos converges at less than optimal results. Are there settings that I can modify to get something closer to the expected outcome?
Attachments:
Hey Steve,

Its John from PAE, met you at Smart Geo.

I looked at your example problem. It looks like the maximized volume produces a cylinder (all three sliders are (5,4.99,5)) and the minimized volume produces a skinny football (all three sliders are (.001,0.5,.001). It seems to be working correctly. Let me know if I misinterpreting the problem.

Best.
Hey John,

The skinny football does seem to be correct (not what I expected), but a sphere (0.001,4.990,0.001) produced a higher ratio (1.6640) than the cylinder (1.6637).
I see!

Hello Steve,

Good day to you. Just wanted to ask you a question since you mentioned modefrontier. Have you tried to link Grasshopper/Rhinoceros to Modefrontier inorder to do an optimization loop ??

Would be great to know if somebody has done that.

Regards,

Jose

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service