Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Dear testers,

Grasshopper 0.7.0014 is available for download.

This release fixes a number of serious bugs with file reading and scripting components. If you've been using an earlier 0.7 beta, please upgrade to this version. 

Grasshopper 0.7 undoubtedly still contains many bugs and should not be used for important work/files as it is less reliable than 0.6.X

--
David Rutten
david@mcneel.com
London, UK

Views: 9696

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Enrique,

although it is true that many algorithms can be described in Big O notation, it is very difficult to figure out the runtime from the outside. A lot of functions in Rhino (and Grasshopper) have optimizations build in which might only kick in for certain cases.

But even if I managed to somehow display a representation of the runtime efficiency of different components, would it really help you? I mean, it is unlikely that you are computing irrelevant data, so whatever operations you are performing have to be performed in order to reach the desired result.

The current profiler widget goes some way towards providing some insight into the relative speeds of different objects (btw the current implementation is not to be trusted, I was incorrectly measuring the same cycles for multiple components in some cases).

--
David Rutten
david@mcneel.com
London, UK
David:

In advance, my apologies for my bad English, it isn’t my first language.
In another more complex definition, i have found a bug with the Orient component.
Here, a simpler definition of the problem.

I need the tree structure for the problem. The oriented geometry should be placed in the target XY Planes but not in another XY Planes.
Is a Orient component problem? or, my problem?
I hope it is understood.
thanks in advance!
Attachments:
Thank you very much!
That's great!

Thank you David!!!!
some bugs to report:

1) Galapagos genome connections to sliders are lost if sliders and Galapagos components are copied then paste into another file.
2) Some math operators persistent data after copy/paste become NULL. i can remember ADD for sure.
3) Evaluate Curve automatically reparameterizes the Curve. Curve frame does the same.

wishes:

1) "quick" connect to all selected sliders to Galapagos
2) sliders have option to connect/disconnect from Galapagos. problematic with multiple Galapagos components?

thanks again for a great release.
Thanks Tuan,

I'll try to fix this (except for the Galapagos bug, not critical enough) for the next release.

--
David Rutten
david@mcneel.com
London, UK
here's another one for you: curve shatter produces an "Invalid Curve" with multiple t-param inputs.
Hi David

In the hillclimber example you are finding the maximum height whereas in the catenary example
the galapagos component is looking for the minimum distance. How does it know whether to look
for the maximum or minimum, ie if the hill terrain is turned upside down and the hills are now
ravines. How do you then tell the galapagos component to look for the minimum height.

Many thanks
William
Good question I'll keep reading...¬¬
I'd like to know the right way of doing this too. As a work around I'm looking for the inverse ie dividing one by my distance.... is this right?

Galapagos always tries to find a larger number as the result of the fitness function. For the catenary you would use 1/distance. The smaller the distance the larger is the resulting number of the fitness function.

To reverse the hills into ravines my guess is to just multiply the z coordinate by -1 but i haven't tried it.
In the enclosed image, I am trying to maximise the ratio of the volume/surface area of a box. Can anyone
explain the scatter and line graphs that appear. Also what is the difference between the dots and the cross markers.

Also if I want to use this galapagos component as an optimisation tool, where the objective is to minimise
say the weight of a beam component of a fixed length. Clearly the minimum weight can be obtained by
choosing the smallest cross-section. This clearly will not satisfy other requirement such as the maximum stress allowable. Is it therefore possible to incorporate design constraints into the solution

Regards
William

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service