Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

When I build a gha in Visual Studio, I then manually copy it over to the Grasshopper Components folder. If grasshopper and rhino are already open, it seems that I need to close and restart both in order to see the results of any changes I make to the gha.

This process is a little tedious. Is there a way to tell grasshopper to reload ghas without having to close Rhino?

Would it be stupid to use the Grasshopper Components Folder as my build path in VS?
Can I have multiple build paths in VS express? Would I just have to edit the xml in the .vbproj file?

Thanks!

Views: 5996

Replies to This Discussion

This means that the project is not targeting ".Net Framework 2.0" in Rhino 4.0.
Rhino 4.0 only supports that runtime. You need Visual Studio 2008 or Rhino 5.0, or both.

- Giulio

I can't seem to find it under options..

Thanks!
It's the first comment in this thread:
http://www.grasshopper3d.com/xn/detail/2985220:Comment:107244

- Giulio

The fourth picture in the first comment in this thread is from Visual C# Express 2008 SP1, in the freely registered version. Maybe you need to register to have that option? (I am not sure)

- Giulio

1. In the project properties, under the Compile tab, there's an button at the bottom left for 'Advanced Compile Options'.
2. In there, the last drop down list asks for a 'Target Framework', and the default is .Net 4.0. Rhino 4.0 only supports upto 3.5, so if you change that, everything works!

I'll try digging some more on the 'Edit and Continue' option, but the entire bunch of options missing still foxes me.
Thanks for this info, great!
Yes, Rhino 4.0 only supports up to that version (actually, it requires 2.0 on target machines, but supports up to 3.5).
Sorry, you said you can compile, or debug? 'Edit and continue' is for debugging (to change code after hitting breakpoint or pressing Pause).

I would really like to know more about the 'Edit and Continue' tab! Where did it go?

- Giulio

But I seem to have run into another issue: I still can't run in debug mode because I get the error saying:

Visual Studio cannot start debugging because the debug target 'projectName.dll' is missing. Please build the project and retry, or set the OutputPath and AssemblyName properties appropriately to point at the correct location of the target assembly.

I'm guessing this is primarily because the post-build events rename it to .gha, while the debug mode is still looking for a DLL. Is there something else that one needs to tweak to make the debugger look for a .gha and not a .dll?

Neat, I'm always back on the same thread.

I guess this should rather be in a MSDN's forum, but anyway, I'll post here just in case someone has a clue:

after starting to debug (VS 2008 Express attaches to Rhino alright), I get this weird error message from VS if I try to hit Break All (pause debugging):

Unable to break execution. This process is not currently executing the type of code that you selected to debug.

Any help?

r

Hi Riccardo,

are you debugging in Rhino 4?

- Giulio

Hi Giulio,

no, I'm debugging in Rhino5, but I have the same issue in Rhino4.

I don't know if it's of any relevance, but the machine I'm working on has access to VS and Rhino through a server. Whilst on my own computer, having the programs installed locally, the debugging works fine.

r

VS 2008 can only debug Rhino 4, because this version uses .Net 2.0/3.5 and not 4.0, that is instead used in Rhino 5.

Still, this does not solve the Rhino 4 part. Are you getting the same error message there?

Also, can you please explain a little more "has access through a server"? I think VS and the debuggee should be running under the same Windows, but about this you might have to ask Microsoft.

- Giulio

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service