Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

http://issuu.com/alex_rdz/docs/autofoldby2

Can anyone help me re-build the diamond square algorithm posted in this article (link above)!

It is MEGA easy, I just can't understand the plug-in so good. For you it will be 5 to 10 min.

I am new to grasshopper and lately I'm learning all of it from analyzing already finished works.

I can't manage to input the correct expression in Series count and the other two that construct both domains used for points parameters.

Could someone take of his time and try to explain to me the hole algorithm used in grasshopper (the way it is build). At least can someone PLEASE input the CORRECT EXPRESSIONS. Its really simple on paper, but in rhino its a bit complicated.

I am attaching the GH file for you. I would be greatly thankful to anyone who tries to help!!

Views: 1556

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

It's just dawned on me that you have put this together and not down loaded it. Sorry for my Monday morning slowness. :)

Normally with a Domain you want it to go from one number to another, usually increasing in size. Therefore I guess that the A Expression on [Construct Domain] is "-x"

Whenever the Length of something has an expression it is usually "x-1". This is because the numbering goes from 0 to N and is to take account of the fact we normally count 1 to N 

one of them must be for sure that ((1+2+3+4)/2)+ random number from -1 to 1 so it defines highs of different points for triangulation. The expression on Series should be that maybe.

See the pdf from issuu.com/ I linked its explained quite good but I cant understand what to imput and where in GH.

Having had a quick glance through I have to say there are too many unknowns from the Image supplied.

This would be my take on re-generating this definition.

Attachments:

Except the 4 expressions, that are not visible from a screenshot, what other is unknow? 

Internal settings in these components control how the definition behaves. For instance the AllocN component What is N? It has to be more than 1 because the [Average] component needs more than on item per branch to average.

Also there are methods used in this that demonstrate very early GH use but it shows components that are more recent. So it leads me to believe that there are better ways to go about this with an up-to-date version of GH.

For instance: Not creating a [Square Grid] or Using "Length - 1" to get the largest value from a sorted list, whilst this is not wrong, there are more established methods like <Reverse> the input on a [List Item] or use the ZUI and add "-1" to the outputs. 

It is a well known fact that Grasshopper Definitions Created by Others are very hard to follow, unless you are disciplined enough to layout the definition in a certain way to allow others to understand your intentions along the way. None of us are.

You are better off working up from scratch with someone elses idea than you are to recreate it verbatim from an image.

I didn't think it could be that hard to recover, having 90% of the definition + a very clear step by step info about the general idea and how things happen. :( your definition is nice, simple (simple is always good in GH), but still doesn't work for me. I need to do the same as they did. Same building, but smaller scale with same algorithm generating similar space.

Can someone please give more advice or try to help? Thank you very much in advance :)

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service