algorithmic modeling for Rhino
I have created a tensegrity building by using Daniel Piker's Mesh Relaxation Tutorials. I am happy with the result, but since it seems a bit repetitative I decided to blend some parts of the building together.
I know this is a grasshopper forum but I thought some of you might know the answer to my issue. I attempted to use Blend surface tool in Rhino, but somehow it does not work. I dont know whether it is because the Nurb is converted from mesh or maybe because the original mesh has too many faces...
Since the Rhino file of baked meshes is too large I am enclosing the definition. It is a bit complicated since I am quite new with grasshopper so there is a lot of copy pasting. But only the top part is important, the one where the mesh relaxation is happening, other things are the structure of the building.
Basically I have two relaxed meshes converted into Nurbs one above the other and in each of them there is a round hole. Now I want to blend these two holes so that the two surfaces are connected.
If anyone knows the answer or perhaps a better way of getting the same effect I would much appreciate it.
I think it would be easier to work directly with the meshes rather than converting to polysurfaces.
If you want to make a relaxed tunnel between the 2 parts, so that they all form one big smoothed surface, then it would be better to make the connection topology before the relaxation.
Alternatively, you could loft between your 2 holes in the surfaces, and relax a tunnel between them, keeping the hole boundaries fixed. That won't give a smooth transition between the tunnels and the existing surface though.
Thank you for your advice, I have tried doing what you suggested, however, I always have trouble with relaxing meshes that are not boxes or block shaped meshes. Basically I cut out two faces out the bottom and two out of the upper mesh, connected the anchor points and lofted them together.
However, it all gets stuck after the Brep Components component.
Here is what I have until now.
Thanks you for your answer again.
I forgot to add the correct definition. Here is the right definition.
It looks like the problem is something to do with the way the meshes are made from the Breps...
I'd like to help more, but I'm afraid the definition is just too huge and convoluted for me to go looking for where it goes wrong. I'd recommend working through one of the tutorials on data paths and trees to keep things at a more manageable level
Really sorry for the mess, the bottom part of the definition is the way it is because it allows me to control the size of every single section of the building individually.
I have cleaned the definition of all the unnecessary parts (at least i think so, but I am sure this could be reduced as well :)
The left part is the definition for the bottom section, right is the above section and the middle part is the lofted section in the middle. They all then go into the Brep Component just the way the lofts in your definition went before. I cannot think of any other way of lofting the area between the two Breps except with triangles which are then joined.
I will try to make this work, hopefully I come up with an idea how to solve this tomorrow :)
Thank you very much for your help and your time.